Rusty callipers?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Ohliuw, Nov 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

9FBC567F-2537-4B82-BB93-C6235766C91B.jpeg F7A057DD-E903-4F80-ADD0-3BD71A73B206.jpeg Changed to winter shoes and noticed the callipers look in bad condition-it’s a 2019 model bought in Aug 2019. Pretty much all 4 of them

Is this normal?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Rusting can be a problem with EV brakes if you're using the regenerative braking properly. They don't get hot enough to dry off after exposure to salty slop. I actually had the same problem happen with my old ICE vehicle. The extra range capacity of the 40kwh Leaf plus the emergence of L3 charging meant it saw very
    little use in the 2019/2020 winter season. The front discs rotted away from lack of use. Some surface rust on the caliper arms is normal given the salt bath they
    get in many areas during the winter.

With the seasonal tire changes I always have my mechanic "clean & lube" the brakes. The old car still had it's winter boots on from last year so I missed the usual
    brake service. Incidentally, my mechanic charges about $50 for this. I was quoted $240 from the Nissan dealer (who has since lost the franchise) for essentially the same service plus a not needed brake fluid change. My Leaf brakes are in great shape after 46,000km.

4. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Hmm, I do use regen a lot (love the paddles).

They should have anticipated this and add some protection

i will try to press the breaks towards the end of my trips

5. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

In my experience brake calipers on all cars tend to get that way after a few years. Your photos didn’t look terrible, maybe a little more rust than what is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs