road trip mpg

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Pete H., Nov 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Just did a road trip from Corpus Christi to Houston and return.
    Out bound leg was held to 65 mph with cruise control. Passed by lots of traffic. Got 45.6 mpg.
    Return leg was at 75 mph. Got 40.6 mpg.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Going 65 mph you passed by lots of traffic in Texas? Were you taking some back-roads route rather than the e-way?

4. No, no. Lots of traffic went flying by me. Only passed a few slow moving trucks.

insightman likes this.
  5. Were those figures provided by the vehicle trip computer or did you calculate them based on miles traveled and fuel consumed? Were any adjustments made to correct for any battery capacity that may have been used during the trip?

6. The figures were NOT from the GOM or trip computer. Miles traveled was off the odometer (zeroed trip computer). Started each segment with a full fuel tank and immediately refilled at the end. HV was immediately activated at start and on any stops, so no didn't try to correct for any battery usage. Was depending on the software to maintain the battery SOC setpoint.

As you have observed, you can magically lose a bar or so, or some EV estimated miles on long trips especially on stops. I once. near home, running as an EV stopped at the local convenience store. Estimated EV miles was 2.3. When I came back out and restarted the EV miles was 0.0. Where those electrons magically disappeared to was a puzzle.

So no, there was no adjustment for any battery SOC changes. Pretty minimal at best.

7. To remove this ad click here.