Rivian R1S roof options

Discussion in 'R1S' started by Domenick, Aug 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Thanks. I suspect the Rivian rep that posted that tweet copy-n-pasted that from their detail-lacking FAQ section on their revamped website.

"What roof options can I expect?

We will offer multiple roof styles including electrochromic glass (which turns from opaque to transparent on demand), a fixed glass panel, a two-piece removable composite roof and a standard fixed roof.
    "​

As far as which one I would choose, hard to say without knowing more details. Some basic information is lacking.
    Are all these options available on both the R1S and R1T? If so, how do they differ? Clearly the R1S roof is larger than the R1T roof.
    What's the price for each option (except "standard fixed roof" which I expect to be standard)?
    How is the removable roof configured and how will it work? E.g. Does it store itself within the vehicle or does it get left behind? The R1S is a big roof.
    Will the fixed glass panel come with a sun screen/shade or will one even be needed?
    Etc.
    Unfortunately, another feature that raises more questions than answers.

1 person likes this.
  3. They tweeted question asked specifically about the R1S, so I imagine these are the options for it. Some (or maybe all) could work with the pickup truck as well.

Pricing-wise, of course, I have no idea, but I have to imagine an electrochromic roof will be pricey.
    They mention the removable panels being composite, so I have to imagine they'd be pretty light. It'd be pretty great if they can figure out in-vehicle storage.

Tesla just uses tinted glass in their vehicles. That's fine for most owners, but occasionally I would hear people wish for something along the lines of a physical shade. It could always have an additional ceramic coating applied (or something) if nothing else for shade is offered.

4. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Yea, I noticed the tweeted question was about the SUV (forgot I pointed that out in a different forum :oops:). However, the FAQ question is framed as non-EAV specific, so it implies their roof options are for both. None the less, clearly the R1S and R1T have different size roofs so I suspect there may be some differences on how much of the roof is affected. In addition, what parts (all?) of the SUV roof is removable? For the SUV that's a lot of roof even if the composite is light.

My questions weren't aimed at you specifically (more rhetorical) but thanks for providing your take on it. ;) Even though I know Rivian is not going respond on forums I would much rather prefer references to official Rivian detail / specs or quotes from Rivian reps. At some point Rivian needs to step up and provide more detail. So far there's just too much speculation floating around that IMO creates confusion.

As for Tesla's tinted glass, I spent some time doing a road trip in a Model X. It was the middle of the summer and I had no issue with the sun beating down on us. Granted it was in the northern Midwest and perhaps not as hot / direct sun as say in southern and SW US areas, but I have read people complain from those areas on how hot it can get inside their Tesla fitted with a glass roof. That's a game changer if I had to put up with that every time I'm driving my vehicle. Every car I had that had a sunroof, I made sure it was equipped with a shade, whether retractable or manually placed and removed.

1 person likes this.