Rivian New York Auto Show preview event

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Domenick, Apr 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rivian held a preview event ahead of the New York Auto Show. With mostly reservation holders invited, it was a great opportunity for many to see what they had put down money for in real life.

Here is a great video with CEO Robert Scaringe giving the keynote address, followed by some analysis by the attendee (Kacey Green), followed by his relaying what he witnessed to the person who had given him the ticket for the event.

I went to the Rivian event in Manhattan, New York at the Classic Car Club at Hudson River Park's Pier 76 on Friday, April 12th, 2019 to see the vehicles up close and to learn what I could. My friend Brandon is the reservation holder and he graciously allowed me to be his plus one to the party. The ultimate date they picked didn’t work with his family commitments and Rivian allowed me to attend anyway, essentially as Brandon’s proxy to ask questions he had and take photographs.

I was able to speak with three engineers and designers at length and learned a great deal about the upcoming vehicles. Their plan for charging on long distance trips, how service would work and how the vehicles are designed and engineered.

The event was informative and I’m glad I got the opportunity to attend.
    Special thanks go Brandon for inviting me and whoever inside the company approved the continued approval of my attendance.

No consideration was offered or requested, I did receive a water bottle, three pins and a guide to NYC pamphlet that all other attendees received. None of this colored my opinion the company has a long road ahead of them and I feel they are the only automaker besides Tesla currently in a position to offer a long range BEV and still treat customers properly without having to compromise to a dealer network or legacy products being built alongside the new EVs. Video of the participation gifts:
    During my phone call with Brandon enjoy crash aftermath, beautiful scenery, a pair of Model 3 transporters (two fully loaded Model 3 car carriers)

What kind of adventures would you take in a Rivian?

0:12 Keynote by Rivian CEO Robert J. Scaringe Ph.D.
    5:54 My after-action report with what I learned and a wild prediction
    20:54 Phone call with Brandon going over even more of what I learned

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JackA

JackA New Member

We took our first Amtrak trip from Spokane to New York City to attend this event. The R1S looks better in metal than in pixels. Was interesting and informative to talk with the designers and engineers as well as Mr. Scaringe. BTW Amtrak was a great way to travel.

1 person likes this.
  4. I haven't had the chance to see it in person myself, but I've heard a number of people say this that have. I remember first seeing and being a little unsure of that fascia design, but it's grown on me.

BTW, I thought I read, or heard in an interview, that the design might change a little for the production vehicle. Anyone else hear that too?

5. JackA

JackA New Member

No Rivian employee we talked to at this event indicated any plans to materially change the exterior. However, some said that there may be "options" for the interior. These responses were made when I said that we were not interested in "Eddie Bauer" adventures; we intended to actually adventure which meant dirt, mud and sharp objects. We talked about an interior like the Toyota FJ as an example. When we take delivery of our R1S if it has the current interior I will have to buy some painters over-clothing to wear inside the vehicle to keep the interior cleaner...

6. " "Eddie Bauer" adventures"...:D
    See, that's the advantage of seeing things close up. I recall them saying they designed the interior to be easily cleaned out, but it still seems a bit "fussy" to me (I still like it, though).
    So, what part of the interior would you like to see changed to make it more livable?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JackA

JackA New Member

The interior mats are washable and made of natural fiber... well that is OK but not really the "washable" we are looking for. The current interior is constructed with urban materials and design. The seats are covered in beautiful, fine leather/leather like material with lots of seams and padded pillows. The dash has wood accent and also many dirt collecting and retaining crevices and folds. In truth I really like the interior; we drive a Model S as a road car. For this vehicle I would prefer manufactured material on the seats, rubber floor liners and less detail in the "sculpting" of all the interior surfaces. My ideal: R1S exterior, drive train and performance with a Bollinger interior...

9. Good points about the "dirt collecting and retaining crevices and folds." Just imagined myself having to clean around those "spokes" around the edges. Maybe they'll smooth that out a bit. I kind of like the seats as they are. I've never had ventilated ones before so I don't know if maintenance is any different.

Plus one on the Bollinger interior (I love that thing).