rivian autonomous driving

Discussion in 'General' started by Roy A., May 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

Will the R1S or R1T have the hardwares needed to have autonomous driving similar to Tesla?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

This may belong to the Rivian Chat group and @Domenick may want to move it there. But here is the details

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25299722/2021-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-photos-info/

Rivian says that every R1T will have Level 3 autonomous technology as standard, with the truck equipped with a range of cameras and ultrasonic, lidar, and radar systems. Also coming standard will be a suite of active-safety systems.

This was the press release from Rivian in November

"The R1T will launch with a robust hardware suite with multiple modalities including camera, lidar, radar, ultrasonic and a high precision GPS coupled with high definition maps. This hardware enables “Level 3” (hands-off wheel and eyes off road) autonomy for highway operation. Beyond the highway Level 3, the vehicle will have a range of self-driving features focused on enabling active lifestyles."

So they are clearly stating that they will be at level 3 for highway operations. Not promising anything more which is wise, as compared to Elon and his pronouncements.

4. It's fine to talk about Rivian here. RivianChat is now a separate forum, so I can't most post from here to there.
    Of course, you can also talk about it over there. I think most Rivian customers aren't really strongly focused on autonomous capability, so it's hard to say how much engagement it would get there.

Also, I think promising level III at this point seems rather optimistic, but I guess Rivian is more aware of its progress in this area than I am. If I were a customer, I'd really want them to be dead-focused on beginning production and high-quality manufacture for the first while. Worry about autonomy later. According to pretty much every commentator outside of Tesla, total autonomous vehicle are still years away, so I'd be quite happy with auto emergency braking, smart cruise control and lane keeping (actually, I don't really care about lane keeping).