Reservation made

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by briloop, Sep 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. briloop

briloop Member

I reserved a 2021 VW ID4 today. $100 deposit (refundable).

As of September 23, 2020, there were two models available to reserve: the 1st edition (starting MSRP $43,995) and the Pro (starting MSRP $39,995). I reserved the Pro. The Pro is only available with RWD.

There are two optional packages available: the Statement and the Statement & Gradient. I did not take either package.

My choices: Exterior color: Scale Silver Metallic. Interior: Galaxy Black Cloth seating surfaces.

I was disappointed to see that VW only offered (initially; this might change in the future) the vehicle with a 250 mile range. I was hoping for at least 300 miles. Also, I was disappointed to see that VW only offers four exterior colors. In addition to the Scale Silver Metallic, the other three options are Glacier White Metallic, Moonstone Gray, and Mythos Black Metallic.

Otherwise, I was satisfied with pretty much everything else.

I am going to lease the vehicle. This will be my first vehicle lease.

If you lease, VW does give you the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit as a lease incentive.

Delivery is unknown, however the website says the ID4 Pro will be available nationwide Q1 2021.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Congrats!

Me too, I reserved a 1st. bummer that the EPA rating is 250 miles for the large battery (77 kWh usable), oh well. It seems the 310 mile range we were seeing was from a km to mile conversion of a European WLTP range. Going from two cars (Honda Clarity for traveling, Hyundai Ioniq BEV for the daily driver) back to one. I liked them both a lot, having two cars for one person, not so much. I could not decide which one to keep. The ID.4 solves the problem, they both go!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  4. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

The range should be very close to Tesla Model y. If you compare WLTP range numbers they are similar. The reason VW EPA range is lower than Tesla is because they use different test methods.

AWD is available for PRO model. It is a $3,700 package that increases power to 302 hp and comes with a tow hitch. But delivery is mid 2021.

5. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Reserved an ID.4 Pro Statement (I'm a sucker for a glass roof) and i wanted the Dusk Blue Metallic color. I figure I'll get more than the 250 mile range in the summer with about 180 to 200 miles in winter. More than enough for a daily driver. I, too, will be leasing. I figure the EV tech will be much better in three years. My dealer already contacted me but I am in no hurry as my Honda Clarity lease does not end until October, 2021.

[​IMG]
    1st Edition pictured but the color is correct.

6. briloop

briloop Member

My dealer hasn't contacted me yet. Did your dealer send you a lease quote?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

No, just an email saying they received the order and will keep in touch throughout the process. I replied saying to let me know when they get an ID.4 to test drive. No answer to that one yet.

9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

We put in the $100 deposit on a blue 1st Edition! I like some of the options more than others, and getting $6K of options for $4K PLUS a trailer hitch - and it is the only way to get the blue color.

Our e-Golf lease it up in January 2021, so the timing is nearly perfect.

electriceddy and briloop like this.
  10. NeilBlanchard

We got an email from the dealership that we prefer, introducing the guy who is their designated EV salesperson, and I am happy to say they are taking a low key, personal approach. I cannot abide a high pressure sales person, and they seem to be doing things well, in this regard. We will be replying, to let him know where we are - this will be our 6th EV - and ask our questions about details, and timing, etc. I'll post anything interesting that we learn.

11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

How do you select the interior trim color? Tom's review said the trim is either black or white - I didn't want white, and I don't see a way to pick that. I do see a place to pick the interior color (black or gray).

Or was white just something in the 1st edition?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Correct, it was for the 1st Edition only.

14. NeilBlanchard

I think that white is problematic, as it will show dirt more readily; but it also should be cooler in the summer.

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Cool. Made my reservation. Now we can take guesses as to when the cars start to arrive. Not in a huge hurry - a number of other pieces need to fall into place before the car gets here..

16. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

VW said it would be mid-summer 2021. I hope so as my Clarity comes off lease a year from now. If it shows up in the Spring, I may have to pass and hope the dealers have stock by late 2021. I can afford a couple of months of duel payments but not 6 or more.

17. NeilBlanchard

Eric, what model did you reserve? The rear wheel drive models are in production already.

18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I am cool with that. In the short term, I still have the dealer loaner from Hyundai - eventually that will have to go back for one reason or another. Once that happens, my wife and I think that we can easily get by with one car for a while.

SThomas219 likes this.
  19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Rear wheel drive.

Some may be in production, but the 1st edition are going to come first.

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  20. Johnny Mars

Johnny Mars Member

Don't any of you "early adopters" (beta-testers) have trepidations about a first edition vehicle? Do you think the mechanics will be up to speed if you have a major problem? It used to be that you would wait a year or two for the bugs to be worked out, and read the reviews from the auto mags, before plunking down your money. Look at all the moaning and groaning that came from the Model 3 and Model Y beta-testers, and they're still not right. Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit to go full EV, but I have a low tolerance for pain. Besides the Tesla crap, the only EV's with decent range that have a proven record are the Bolt, Leaf, and Fiat 500 EV's. YOU GO FIRST!

21. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Well, my current car is a Kona. It has been in the shop for 2 months now, needing a new traction battery. Any more questions?:(:(:(

22. NeilBlanchard

My extended family has owned / leased 13 EVs so far - and the most problematic - by a country mile - was my brother's i3 REx - and most of the problems were with the ICE. And ropey software, often related to the ICE - the switch on the fuel filler door caused a fault that rendered it inoperable; among other things. His wife had the first EV - a 2012 Leaf, and it had to have its heater replaced, which thankfully was covered by warranty.

The i MiEV that was my brother's before he got the i3 REx, went to our Mom, and it had a failure in the "shifter", that was replaced. Our first Leaf had a faulty cabin fan (I think it had a mouse nest?) and the windshield leaked. Our first e-Golf had a few software issues that were fixed with a routine (free) update. The only thing wrong with our Bolt EV is a crappy carpet installation on the front passenger's wheel well.

The earliest cars that we got 5 to 8 years ago, had some problems, and many of those were generic, or not related to the EV drivetrain. The newest cars are much more dependable. My brother now has an Audi e-Tron, and it has an issue with missing speed limit signs - so he has turned off that "feature".

Please remember that EVs require almost no regular maintenance. The first scheduled maintenance item on our Bolt EV, is at 10 years / 150K miles (whichever comes first) to change the motor / gearbox lubrication, which is an automatic transmission fluid. A couple of quarts, I think?

Cabin air filters, wiper blades, tires, software updates - which are now being done over the air; and that's basically everything.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  23. NeilBlanchard

Back on the ID.4 - we had two more questions answered by our local VW dealer: the 1st Edition will have the trailer lighting connection installed, so you can attach a hitch receiver and use your trailer. And the ID.4 will be getting over the air updates.

SThomas219 likes this.