Replacing the touch screen

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jim1960, Jun 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Some person broke into my car, and while searching for stuff (there was only about 80 cents in change) apparently leaned on the touch screen and cracked it. It now will not function. Replacement OEM is roughly $2500.00! But, I can get one for about $350 from crashed Clarities. It appears that there are just 2 plug-n fittings to connect it, and four bolt that hold it onto the car.
    BUT, I have no idea how to disassemble the dashboard to get at the mounting bolts. Do any of you helpful people have a link to some direction on how to dis-assemble/re-assemble the dash in the area of the touch screen?
    Thank you!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim, Swapping out the tablet is easy and only takes a few minutes. Give me a few minutes and i will find a video that will explain how to do it.

4. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Wow. When you said it was easy, you really meant it. THANK YOU so much for the help. You're a prince!

BrianRC likes this.
  5. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

So the next question is: Is this screen going to need to be re-programmed, or have codes entered? Is there a video for that. I search, but obviously not with your skill level. Did not find anything.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

So I bought a screen from an auto recycler (we used to call them junk yards, but they are far more sophisticated now) via Ebay, for $199.99. THANKS to the brilliant and helpful Brian RC, I was able to change from the old, ruined screen to the "new" (used) screen in about 4 minutes in the parking lot of the business. Plugged in the two connectors, and everything worked without a re-boot, or a code. Just worked like new. And it came from a wreck that had 20,000 fewer miles on it than my Clarity. $200 sure beats the OEM new-unit price of $2400!

Paddy, Danks, MrFixit and 3 others like this.
  8. Awesome news Jim! Congrats.

9. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

You made it happen. Thanks so much!

BrianRC likes this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. By the way, I highly recommend the follow screen protector for the infotainment system. https://www.photodon.com/p/2757-01.html . I've had two in both my Claritys. They are a little pricey but they go on perfectly, no bubbles, eliminate glare and fingerprints and provide a silky feel when you operate the screen.

12. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just curious - Is your Clarity a Touring, and did your replacement display also come from a Touring?

I was wondering whether the authorization for the navigation functions came along with the display, or could you install a Base display into a Touring and still have navigation. Conversely, could you install a Touring display into a Base and get navigation 'for free'?

BrianRC likes this.
  13. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Mine is a Touring. I do not know what the donor car was, sorry. But it is my impression from my research, that the display is the same. Based on my installation, where everything that I had programmed into the old unit showed up instantly on the replacement, I deduce that there is memory storage that is not inside the display. I therefore infer, though I don't know, that a base display would give you everything your touring offers.

BrianRC and Danks like this.
  14. MrFixit

Sometimes the eBay listings include the VIN of the donor vehicle. From that, we could determine whether it was Base or Touring. I think your observation about retaining settings, etc, is pretty definitive that the configuration storage is elsewhere (maybe in the vehicle ECU)?

Thanks for reporting on this !!
    You have proven something that may be very useful to others going forward !!

BrianRC and Robert_Alabama like this.
  15. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

The VIN of the donor car is JHMZC5F16JC014057. The listing claims that the replacement I bought fit both base and touring hybrids, as well as pure electric and fuel cell models.
    This is the ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154986901734

BrianRC likes this.
  16. MrFixit

The donor VIN in your case is a Base model. To me, this is proof that the head units are identical with no worries about configuration settings or feature compatibility !

BrianRC and Robert_Alabama like this.