Replace Display/Head Unit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by EV4Me, Dec 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

Has anyone replaced the display/head unit on their Clarity?
    Just wondering how hard it is to replace with the same thing and have it set up for the vehicle.
    I am looking at a new 2020 Clarity but the display has a scratch or two which the dealer will have repaired but not replaced....not sure how that will look.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My whole unit was replaced by dealer as the radio was defective under warranty . The unit is expensive. I think it was well over a thousand maybe 1500. I would rather have original, factory unit if the dealer could repair the scratches it so it wasn’t too bad. It will eventually show a few scratches anyway in my opinion.

EV4Me likes this.
  4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I’ve also heard a scratch touchscreen is a full head unit replacement; there are no replaceable parts on it. Very expensive. Always use the microfiber cloth. When I get a cash wash, I put a post it note on the screen telling them not to touch it. Too many scratches from a well intentioned cotton towel.

EV4Me likes this.
  5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Minor scratches get smoothed over by a decent screen protector; for 2.5 years I've had one that I bought from Amazon. Easy to wipe and don't anticipate trouble replacing it if needed. Problem solved.

coutinpe likes this.
  6. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

Thankx for the reply, I always place a screen protector on my displays to avoid those scratches.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Assuming that the touchscreen is made of acrylic and that the capacitive sensing part is on the underside of it, you could use a product made by micro-mesh to take the scratches out. A kit consists of progressively finer and finer grit abrasive cloths and the final application of a very fine compound that polishes so it looks like new. I have used this product successfully on my acrylic aircraft windshield and it works great!

9. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

EV4Me likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I purchased the HondaCare extended warranty, which just kicked in this week, after learning how expensive the head unit is.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Imagine what those cotton towels are doing to your clear coat finish!

13. coutinpe likes this.
  14. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

My infotainment screen was periodically flickering on the left side where the volume lines are and I captured it on video to show my dealer and they replaced it. This was within the first year of ownership but I recall seeing a invoice it would have cost in the area of $3,000 but was covered under warranty.

jenesuispasbavard likes this.