Rented a Model 3 for the weekend...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehinde, Feb 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I used Turo to rent a 2023 Model 3 for the weekend, just to check it out. I remain very happy with my Clarity as a result.

The Model 3 is not a bad car. Smaller obviously, but a comfortable ride. I liked one pedal driving. I think this car had the premium interior. Supercharging really is all that.

But all the things it wanted to help me with, it did poorly.

It was raining and the automatic wipers were crap. I.e., they didn't come on when needed. And then you're managing it manually and I hadn't developed the muscle memory over the weekend to be able to safely set things.

The autopilot (not FSD - but the built-in equiv of ACC and LKAS) worked until it didn't. I didn't have any problem with the automatic cruise control. But the lane keep was good until it wasn't. It does a better job of keeping in the lane than the Clarity, but it lost it on the 'are you paying attention.' I had both hands on the wheel and it thought I didn't, so it disabled the feature for the remainder of one of the trips. And it turns off if you change lanes and doesn't automatically re-engage. I don't get that.

It warned me about a hazard that was just 6:00 traffic. (Thanks, I noticed.) and then it warned about nothing I could see. I was turning left, there was no oncoming traffic. Not sure what I was missing, but it thought I'd missed something.

All in all a little underwhelming, for me.

Oh, and I missed CarPlay.

Alex800st likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.