Refreshed Tesla Model 3 leaked!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Domenick, Apr 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. There have been rumors of a refreshed Tesla Model 3 design that in-house goes by the name Highland Project. We've seen some spyshots with camouflage, but now the whole front end has been uncovered to really show off the design.

Picking up some Roadster vibes.

Tesla-Model-3-refresh.jpg

insightman and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I agree with "Roadster vibes." It's the closest thing to a Roadster you'll be able to get for a long time. How many current Model 3 orders are being canceled tonight?

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Teslas are like a box of chocolates, the inside is more interesting:
    upload_2023-4-13_23-18-45.png

Bob Wilson

navguy12 likes this.
  5. cocoboy

cocoboy New Member

Anyone have any inside info on when the refreshed model may start rolling off the floor?

6. bwilson4web

The podcasts who claim to know, I don't trust. The ones who know it is coming don't speculate.

Bob Wilson

cocoboy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I saw someone yesterday say Q3, but it wasn't a trusted source.

cocoboy and bwilson4web like this.
  9. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I like this look a lot better, now if it either had a center console of some kind AND/ OR a good HUD....

10. cocoboy

cocoboy New Member

Thanks Bob, agree that you cant always trust what you hear.
    Do you know how it works once the refreshed model starts being released in regards to those in the queue? Will you just happen to get the new model or will there be a choice?
    I am guessing there will be a few people like myself delaying their orders hoping for the new model.

11. cocoboy

cocoboy New Member

Lets hope so, curious as to how long the transition from old to new model goes and whether you can specify which model you want rather than just pot luck as they run down the supply of old model.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Generally, you can not choose the exact model, so if you want to be sure, it makes sense to wait a bit to be sure that's what you get. One could order and cross their fingers and send it back if it's not what you want, but I believe that sends you to the back of the order line, so it may take even longer to get the car you want.

cocoboy likes this.
  14. insightman

Are there people who love the front of the current Model 3? As soon as this photo broke I postulated people would be canceling their orders unless they could get them delayed until the new front end is available.

Who would want to be the one to receive the last OG Model 3 unless it was offered at a 50% discount? I expect the prices for used Model 3s will decline sharply after the date for the transition to the new front end is announced, or even rumored.

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

I prefer a Sandy Munro teardown review. I suspect it will be soon coming once they go on sale. Sandy, like me, is 'Jones' for the LiFePO battery pack analysis.

My 103,000 mile, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range is in my 'until the wheels fall off' test. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

navguy12 and cocoboy like this.
  16. insightman

That's my question, too.

17. cocoboy

cocoboy New Member

Totally agree, especially if the new model has better range and maybe better performance.

18. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

…and then there are guys like me.

My LR RWD TM3 turns five years old in three weeks; it has about 102,000 km.

I’m planning to keep it until it is at least 10 years old:
    • I paid only $US 2,500 for the FSD/Version 3 hardware upgrade when it was on a fire sale in 2019 and I cannot transfer that to a new unit (somewhere north of $US 15,000 now IIRC);
    • My car came with the built in HomeLink module (now an extra cost upgrade);
    • My car came with lifetime premium connectivity and I always run it in satellite view (now a monthly fee);
    • My car came with a mobile connector with three different connectors (now an extra cost);
    • My car came with chrome trim/door handles; and
    • I finished paying for it three years ago.
    I see the odd 2012-2014 Model S around here and they still look great IMO, even with the goofy imitation front grille.

The software updates have kept the car fresh; it’s the only commodity I’ve ever owned for five years where I am happier with it now than when I took delivery.

My operating costs (total costs minus CAPEX costs) are 15 cents a km; better than my previous 2008 Prius.

YMMV

cocoboy likes this.
  19. cocoboy

cocoboy New Member

I wish I had bought a Tesla back then, my issue was apartment living so unable to put in home charger and also there were very few public charging stations, we have only just started to ramp up in Australia unlike other countries where they have over half their cars being EVs.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. Your M3 sounds similar to my son's 2018 LR RWD (was one of the very first delivered). He had over 200,000 kms on it last year before his battery pack got damaged. Still not fixed but should get it back in about a week or so, last thing outstanding is A/C replacement. He feared it was going to get written off by the insurance company, but apparently not. When he does get it back, it effectively will put the odometer back to zero with a brand new battery pack. And apparently new LR M3s are in scarce supply these days. Prior to the pack damage he was planning to sell it. But now that the prices have dropped, he will likely keep it. He does drive a lot, so makes very good use of an electric car.

He did try the full FSD when they had a free trial a year or two ago, but didn't like it, so never did buy it. Otherwise he has all the bells and whistles you can get for it (very expensive). He does have a cracked roof glass, but is going to live with it, as too expensive too fix. His car is long out of warranty. He has replaced the heater twice, and now the A/C. Suspension parts twice and numerous other repairs, all very expensive. And here in Vancouver, only two service centres (despite the zillion Teslas on the road here) all jammed with cars being fixed, and long waiting lists to get anything done. Unfortunately with Tesla, you can't just go to an independent shop to get something fixed.

navguy12 likes this.
  21. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

I don’t use the FSD beta myself as it’s much too twitchy for my tastes.

I know the FSD beta bulls talk about it like it’s the second coming.

When a new version of FSD beta finally comes out without pages of update notes but just a single “Tesla assumes all liabilities when FSD is enabled”, then I’ll know the AI problem has been solved and the car will actually drive in a safe manner.

The current version cannot look ahead and anticipate an incipient situation, just like a kid with their first drive with their learners permit.

The only issue I have with this car is the FSD/TACC/Autosteer. I wish I could enable “dumb” cruise control.