Recall- rollaway risk

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by electriceddy, May 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Affects Ionic 5 and Kia EV6
    Parking pawl may disengage even if the car was off and parked.
    Info from several sources:
    https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/kia-ev6-recall-rollaway-risk/

"The issue was around the shifter control unit on the vehicle sending the incorrect command to the parking pawl actuator.

The command would only happen during a rare voltage fluctuation. When that happened, the control unit would disengage the parking mechanism, even if the vehicle was off and parked."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/kia-ev6-rollaway-risk-prompts-safety-recall-more-than-9000-units-affected-188993.html

"The component manufacturer is listed as Hyundai KEFICO Corp., and the shifter control unit bears part number 42951-18150. The attached report highlights that owners of subject vehicles will be notified by first-class mail on May 25th with instructions to bring their cars in for a software update.

The remedy software prevents the shifter control unit from allowing the parking pawl to be moved out of park, therefore eliminating the risk of rollaway when the vehicle is off and in the parked position. Improved software logic was applied to production on May 3rd, one day after Hyundai introduced the remedy software for the Ioniq 5 built in the city of Ulsan."
    Also:
    https://insideevs.com/news/586551/us-hyundai-ioniq5-kia-ev6-recall/

"Hyundai recommends using the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) when parking until the remedy is applied (update of the SCU software by dealers). Kia recommends parking the vehicles on level ground and avoiding parking on a slope/inclined surface whenever possible."

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Check your VIN against the recall sites at Hyundai US and Canada. They aren't the same sites. Initially my VIN was OK until the following week, then the notice appeared.

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

All fixed now. Hyundai sent me a letter about a week after I made my appointment and, was very surprised, the next day, the Infotainment system displayed a recall notice in which I had to clear it by pressing OK on the screen.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Since the flaw was revealed I've wondered if people knew of a way to make a "parked" Ioniq 5 roll before the fix so they could verify the fix. Did your Ioniq 5 ever roll before it was fixed? I'd love to know how this flaw slipped through the development process.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi insightman. No, my Ioniq 5 never rolled. I always engage the parking brake. If placing in storage, I block the wheels and keep the parking brake off (don't want it to seize). It really isn't a big deal unless you never use the parking brake out of habit. My habit is to always use it. Bugs will happen in software and who knows what triggers them. I doubt this would happen on every single Ioniq 5 out there but the recall is for those recognized by the VIN being on the list. Also, not a wise idea to "verify" a fix for a safety recall - the Hyundai Engineers are responsible, not any owner. Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.