RECALL) KONA EV - BMS UPDATE and 20% Reduce cell capacity

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by kennykim, Oct 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Where is the 20% reduction mentioned?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

3. echeck

echeck New Member

Why are vehicles built after September 29, 2019 the only ones affected when there have been fires reported before then?

Obviously it could be completely different causes of fires, but I bought mine on September 1, 2019 and this makes me very uneasy. Might be time to see how much resale value my Kona has... :(

4. We got our on February 28th, 2019, showing production date of 1/3/2019.
    Does this mean we should be ok?
    BMS update was done 5/19/2020

5. kennykim

kennykim New Member

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. kennykim

kennykim New Member

Sorry for korean language at movie clips.

But NEWS mentioned reduce cell capacity for all KONA EV by EMS update.:(

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I most definitely would not accept it being limited to 80% of a charge.

9. kennykim

kennykim New Member

07.PNG

10. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

This is messed up. I bought my Kona EV May 2019, but I can remember there were Kona EV fires even then. Why recall vehicles after September 2019???? Why is the BMS update reducing the capacity by 20%???? Still Hyundai will not give straight answers as to why they are doing what they are doing. I still have yet to bring my vehicle in for the BMS update. Worried that some incompetent tech at a Hyundai dealership messes up on the update and I have to wait for Hyundai an eternity to place the traction battery....if they will even replace it at all.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Looks like my car was built in recall affected window(naturally :( ). It will be interesting to see when this recall will extend to North America. Frankly until Hyundai can clearly articulate what the actual problem is and presents a legitimate solution that does not penalize me they can go stuff themselves. I have absolutely no faith that they have any clue as to what is going on. In the meantime my car charges outdoors and I have good insurance so whatever.

navguy12, electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  13. What is even more curious about the "recall date window" ( Sept, 29/19 to Mar 13/20) is the fact the Montreal incident happened happened before that date - Blew up July 26/2019, car bought March 2019, manufacture date?
    https://insideevs.com/news/362202/hyundai-kona-electric-explodes-canada/
    and what about this one?
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/exploding-kona-electric.6342/#post-70625
    And speaking of insurance, what will happen if there are any additional charges for house insurance (or vehicle) or downright refusal to cover due to the fact of the vehicle make/model/year etc?
    Personally my feeling are there has to be some solid communication between Hyundai Corp. and Kona EV owners in the form of written verification as to the safety confirmation of our vehicles, right now the only thing we have as owners is the proof of successful completion of the BMS voluntary update.
    If that is it, then it should be so stated. This would also help the resale value and confidence for any purchaser of a pre owned Kona EV .

mho, navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  14. Perhaps the narrowing of the dates in that later news item indicates some understanding of what the root cause is? I get the impression that Hyundai corporate are being hurried along by the SK government.

15. Here's a google translation of what I assume is the transcript in header of the video:

Although the government has uncovered the cause of the Kona electric car fire and Hyundai Motor Company announced a recall action, it is a position that car owners are not satisfied. The software update is only a tinkering prescription, and it is insisting that batteries that have been found to be defective should be replaced entirely.

Reporter Park Ki-wan reports.

Park Ji-hoon, who bought his first car with the company in August of last year.
    I chose the Kona electric car because it was an eco-friendly car that could drive long distances.
    However, the news of the recent fire has made driving a car uneasy.
    Even parking or charging is noticeable.

[Park Ji-hoon (pseudonym) / Kona electric car owner: Even at electric car charging stations, charging Kona cars is not a good thing, and there are places that are prohibited... . I'm worried that this car is really exploding.]

The government and Hyundai Motor Company belatedly uncovered the cause of the fire and announced a recall measure, but borrowers agree that it is not a fundamental measure.

To update the battery management software first and then to replace the battery if there is a problem after that is a tinkering prescription to extinguish the light at a minimum cost.
    [Park Ji-hoon (pseudonym) / Kona electric car owner: I think that I am deceived by the consumer like this in order to make a little less damage, from the software update that is the least damaging after gambling with the life as collateral. It was more.]

It is argued that the battery must be completely replaced as the risk of fire still exists.
    [Song-hyuk / Kona electric vehicle owner: Once the cause is found, it is natural to take all (replacement) measures for the cause (battery), but from the driver's point of view, there is no choice but to keep riding with an anxious mind.]

More than 600 borrowers have previously requested a recall from Hyundai Motor and said they would respond according to what measures were taken while preparing a lawsuit for damages.

This is YTN Park Ki-wan [[email protected]].

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the dash screen screen imply it's only the fast charge that's limited to 80%? Comparing it to the menus in mine, the top option is for DC fast charge and the lower option is for AC charging.

Attached Files:

17. I don't see how it would matter by what means the charge got to 80%.

18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Because quick charging bypasses the BMS entirely and the fires only seem to be coming from level 2 EVSEs after they are finished charging.

19. Nah, AC charging bypasses the OBC not the BMS.

20. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I will highly doubt that Hyundai will replace the traction battery for every recall vehicle. The traction battery is the most expensive item in the car, costing around $15,000 USD. If they can replace bad cells within the battery, sure.....but replacing the entire battery, don't think so.

21. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

What they will probably do is replace the battery, then refurbish it and use it in the next car, so on and so forth. Or sell them for storage at fast chargers to offset peak usage.

22. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Problem is, the batteries are third party distributors....not sure if they have the means to refurbish old batteries.

Plus, the third party is refurbishing the batteries at a loss...unless Hyundai is paying them, which means Hyundai is eating the loss. 25,000 cars are alot of batteries.

All this brings up another question. Are cars manufactured before Sept. 29, 2019 have batteries which are magically immune from such fires???? I doubt it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020