Rear sway bar

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rogue Synapse, Jul 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Has anyone upgraded their rear sway bar/anti-roll bar? I’m having some fun autocrossing my SE but wanted to stiffen the rear to correct some of the understeer. It’s a well-known and very common upgrade for the Cooper S but I thought I read somewhere that there was a different/nonstandard rear sway bar for the SE due to battery geometry. I don’t want to order a generic F56 rear sway bar and not have it fit.

Would you believe I emailed Mini and they said they didn’t know the answer to this question?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Oh, they know, but MINI doesn't allow access to the people who know...anything.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

As far as I know the MINI Cooper SE uses the F57 Cabrio bar #33506853917 so you might want to start there.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    MichaelC and CuriousGeorge like this.
  8. Thanks, super helpful. I was actually going to pull the trigger on that NM engineering sway bar a week or two ago before I realized the website attesting to fitment might not be the most definitive source. But it turns out there really aren’t any definitive sources.

9. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Well if you buy one and install it successfully, you'll become the definitive source.

I'm not super pumped to remove all the under trays myself.

10. OK so I did wind up getting the NM 25mm rear sway bar because it was compatible with F56 and F57. In an effort to avoid messing it up, I wound up having a local BMW/Mini shop put it on for me. They said it fit fine and was no big deal compared to a standard Cooper S, even though the subframe was different because of the battery pack. The sway bar came with step-by-step instructions with pictures in case anyone wanted to DIY it.

I am also happy to report that it made a huge difference in autocross! I shaved a full 3.5 seconds off my times from the previous event with the stock sway bar. Huge! The biggest difference was the tendency to understeer/push/plow through sharp turns was massively improved. I dare say I even got the rear end to swing around a little bit and cornering was a dream. If anyone has any inkling to autocross the SE, I would say an upgraded sway bar is absolutely mandatory to fix the stock understeer. I am a fully converted believer.

wessy, polyphonic, Ericwc and 6 others like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

That is great to know! I put the NM 22mm swaybar in my 2019 Cooper S, dropping the rear subframe wasn't to bad. I do want one for my SE so that is good news knowing it will work!

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    How does it feel in daily driving?

insightman likes this.
  14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Did you have to drop the subframe? On the SE, the rear of the battery is mounted to the rear subframe so it would be a bit more difficult to do

15. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

It does not need to be removed, just lowered enough to get to the front sway bar clamp bolts. I have not looked at my SE yet, but I’m sure it just needs to be unbolted and supported by a jack.

Rogue Synapse likes this.
  16. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

How does it change the car for daily driving?

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  17. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

It does not change the ride at all, but I did notice it will could lift the rear wheel off the ground when going up a steep driveway at an angle.

polyphonic likes this.
  18. I have really not noticed any difference at all in daily driving, just in aggressive cornering in autocross. It has not affected the ride at all.

wessy and polyphonic like this.