"Rear brake pad" warning at 5200 miles

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by joshf2k, Oct 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

Just got a "rear brake pad change" warning on my 2022 with 5,200 miles. We drive mostly using regen and very moderate ACC use. Regardless, seems way too early for something like this.

First actual service (two years) is due in 9/23.

Anyone else getting this message?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Very strange they should last 100000 miles must be something wrong with brake sensor ,disconnect?you run over something tree branch or some plastic bags ? That what I think .I thing sensor is on passenger side on rear.

GvilleGuy and endquote like this.
  4. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Are you able / willing to remove the rear passenger side wheel to verify if the pad is indeed worn down? Look in the back of the caliper. The sensor is at the end of the wire. It's a real warning of worn pad if the sensor is touching the brake disc. You can see in this picture that the sensor is far away from the disc.

Screenshot_20221015-122158_Gallery.jpg

joshf2k and SameGuy like this.
  5. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

Didn't hit anything that I'm aware of. I'll go ahead and pull the wheel off this weekend and see if anything looks amiss.

6. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

You don't drive with your left foot over the brake, do you?

Rexsio likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

:) I'm not a barbarian!

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If is break issue you don’t wait to do over weekend you shouldn’t use a car or you will brake Flinstone style on highway doing 75 M/H .Could be nothing or you put your life and anybody else in jeopardy.:eek::oops::eek::oops:

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Why those calipers so clean if those are a pictures of your car or you keep SE in a bedroom not driving!

11. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Only have a couple of hundred miles on her so far. It's my wife's car and I'm doing my best not to steal it away from her. I get to give it love in the form of keeping it clean and other little details. Plus I put the Akebonos on, so the old dirty pads were only on for 100 miles or so.

I plan on driving it about 50 miles a week. She drives less. I know, it's sort of a waste of a super ride. However I am taking it to cars and coffee in Bethlehem tomorrow. It's the last one of the year.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Bc I keep my SE in garage and so clean I have to do to my wife Subaru on a street the same to make her happy and before I have Porsches she was telling me to kiss those bumpers as a crazy car guy .

14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Prob a broken sensor. It’s on the right rear

joshf2k likes this.
  15. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

Pulled the right rear wheel off and the pads seem good to me. Sensor seems far enough away from the disk, although I'm not an expert.

Seems like a broken sensor. I'll schedule a service appointment and see how that goes.

2022-10-14 18.25.37.png

2022-10-16 11.22.05.jpg

2022-10-16 11.23.10.jpg

2022-10-16 11.23.34.jpg

Hatch likes this.
  16. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

Following up. Scheduled service and they replaced the brake sensor. Easy enough.

Also got the 3G sunset update applied to the telematics control unit (M84 03 22). Wiped out half my driver profile settings, but no noticeable difference beyond that.

Makes me wonder why a car manufactured mid-2021 would use 3G in the first place. ‍

17. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

same issue as NASA using windows XP. The design is and hardware infrastructure is locked in. Only gets updated when there is an architecture change brake

18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't think the SE actually used it, since 3G has been outdated technology for some time. Probably a leftover as fallback if 4G can't be used, probably going back to the F56 introduction in 2014. But now that 3G is shut down there's no point in having it as a fallback.

19. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

After my autocross day, I wondered if i could encourage rotation with some left foot braking.
    Nope, hit the brake, you lose all power. Harrumph.