Real-world experience with RWD in winter weather? Overall reliability?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Maine EV girl, Apr 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Maine EV girl

Maine EV girl New Member

I'm still in the hunt for my first EV (tough market out here), and after seeing some reviews of the ID.4, I'm leaning that way. I live on the coast of Maine, so there is snow in winter, but the road crews are great, and more and more it is wetter snow/ice. Would RWD with winter tires be a safe way to go, or is AWD a must? I'm retired so don't "have" to be on the road regularly.

Also, Consumer Reports seems to give the car a "meh" rating, mostly on reliability issues, based on the 2021 version. I realized that this car hasn't been out for all that long, but just wondering about everyone's experiences. I currently drive a Prius and am used to the Toyota reliability, but am NOT impressed with the bz4x.

Also, what are your thoughts on leasing vs buying? I've never leased a car before, always purchased used, so I lean that way, but the tech is changing so fast. I don't have scads of $$ to throw away either so trying to do my research and do the smart thing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SueMC

SueMC New Member

I have owned my First Edition RWD ID.4 for almost a year now. I live in CA so weather is not a big factor for me, but had AWD been available to me a year ago I would have probably gone that route. That said, I love how the AWD handles and find it really fun to drive. I have had zero issues with the car, or rather none that require service. My only complaint is the info-tainment system that controls nav/radio/climate can be glitchy and slow. I also sometimes get random warning lights going off on the dash that make no sense. I call the local dealer and they have no clue either, and always advise that the warning light has to be on at the time I bring in the car in order for them to service it. I have never gotten a straight answer as to the supposed "over the air software updates" that happen to fix such glitches. I chalk much of this up to it being the First Edition, and subsequent versions of the ID.4 have likely had some of these kinks worked out.
    As to lease vs own: We leased the ID.4 (first time ever leasing for us) due to technology changing so fast - I suspect (and hope) that in three years the EV market will have exploded including affordable options with even longer battery range than the 250 offered by the current ID.4.

4. gonzogeezer

gonzogeezer New Member

I’m retired as well and have owned my ‘21 Pro S Gradient RWD for a year. What little frozen precip I came across last winter was handled fine by the all season tires. But I could stay home if there was real snow.

I believe CR has a outdated perception of EVs in general and give little credence to their pronouncements. They may be great at picking air fryers but I was never impressed with their car sense.

David Towle likes this.
  5. Joules

Joules New Member

Hey EV girl, I lived in Maryland when I purchased my 1st edition and drove it regularly through two winters - I currently have 20,000 miles on it. I've driven it on snow covered roads and about any winter condition Maryland could throw at it. No RWD issues for me. The car is heavy and perhaps that and the low center of gravity gives it some advantage. I've taken the ID.4 on several 300+ mile trips and have also had zero issues with Electrify America, or any other charging stations.
    This is my 2nd EV. My first was the Chevy Bolt. GREAT 1st EV. But too small and the seats were, from day 1, uncomfortable for broad shoulders. I put 50,000 miles on the Bolt and ultimately sold it after buying the ID.4.
    After a while you get over the whole EV thing and it just becomes a car. I charge it in my garage with a JuiceNet box and schedule the charge for off peak savings. Every day I wake up with a full tank and off I go.

6. Joules

Joules New Member

P.S. You asked about Lease/Buy. I would not worry about the technology curve or being stuck with outdated tech. We've been reading about future battery designs for years and the ever present "Solid State" Unicorn. I also read about concerns regarding battery degradation. I'm sure all of that is true, and I am also sure, at least with my Bolt (50K miles), some of that occurred. But it's like having a gas car that get's slightly less MPG, unless you check with every fill up, you hardly/never notice.

I believe I have had every single negative thought regarding EV's brought up to me over the years. Most are nonsense - especially from people who have never owned or driven one. Once you own one, you won't go back.

As soon as I can get my hands on an EV pickup, I will own one of those also.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maine EV girl

Maine EV girl New Member

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and comprehensive response! I've put in an order for the ID4 (gulp!!), and did put in for an AWD, but now am rethinking that, partly because of your review. Did you have snow tires on? I wonder how much better a RWD with winter tires would perform vs AWD? The other reality is that since I am retired, I can usually put off trips if the weather is awful, unlike when I worked at the hospital. Of course, there is always the odd emergency that might come up... Glad you love your ID4!!

9. Joules

Joules New Member

My goal with the EV was to remain simple. With my Bolt, I literally never did anything to it but drive it 50,000 miles. It never went in for maintenance, repair or any other issue (there was no maintenance schedule). There was a recall regarding the batteries, but it was a quick fix.

I want the same simple inobtrusive use out of my ID.4. The less that can go wrong, the less that will go wrong. As far as EV's go, a single motor rear wheel drive car is about as simple as it gets.

I did not have snow tires, but Maryland does not have the hills and terrain to worry about that you have in Maine. You will do great with the AWD and with the extra weight of the car I can't imagine that you will run into a situation where you are not able to get out and go where you wish.

The one thing I do recommend is putting a heat/smoke detector in your garage. I have mine directly above my ID.4, and did the same with my Bolt. It's something that will make you feel better while charging as part of your home. Battery issues are very rare, but it's a peace of mind thing that is inexpensive and easy to do. :)

Also, I had to get to know my electricity bill a little better. I found that I could save a lot by simply charging between 10PM and 5:AM (more than enough time to recharge, on even a heavy use day.)

Welcome to the EV world. You will quickly wonder why people make such a big deal out of it or are still buying gas!

10. bubzki

bubzki Member

I'm based in MN with a RWD ID.4 Pro with Nokian tires for winter. Traction is not an issue at all, but this vehicle really shows its lack of heat pump in sub-freezing temperatures, which really hurt on winter holiday roadtrips. I quite frankly won't be buying another EV without a heat pump in this climate. For reference, the drop from warm-cold in ID.4 is nearly twice by percentage range vs. my previous Niro EV with heat pump. My suggestion is look at the Ioniq 5 AWD for this reason, as you need AWD on the Ioniq 5 in the US to get the heat pump for some reason.

11. Joules

Joules New Member

Good info. I always take winter advice from anyone with a MN address. Not sure why they opted to not use a heat pump. I have noticed on cold days (Not MN grade cold days) the “heating up toaster” smell.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. So we leased an ID4 in November and live in the Hudson Valley in NYS. My wife most drives the car to work and she did express some concerns with slippage in the snow with the tires that were in the car. We then replaced the tires with Nokia WR4 and had no issues after that—they are all season tires (vs all weather) and have a snow rating as well.

In general we are happy with the car. Ours is just RWD and a 2021 ProS. Only complaint is as someone else pointed out the infotainment system— a bit glitchy and a bit unintuitive. Having owned a Hyundai Kona EV previously the ID4 is much more comfortable but not as energy efficient as the Kona was—less mph/kWh than the Kona. You will find that your range will drop in the winter months, as is the case with all EVs. While a heat pump may help, my understanding is that the addition of a heat pump generally reduces the overall range as well due to the added weight.

Oh and we leased for the first time with the same thought that the tech is changing fast and wanted more flexibility to see what might be out there in 3 years

14. Maine EV girl

Maine EV girl New Member

Interesting. Why do you suppose the Niro is more efficient? Is the ID4 heavier? Glad the RWD works well with good tires.

15. I attribute it to the ID4 being a heavier and bigger car

16. Upstate Jurist

Upstate Jurist New Member

Jumping on a bit of an old thread here, but I live in Upstate NY and have one winter under my belt with the ID.4 (RWD). Last winter was fairly typical in terms of snow, ice and cold. I mounted snow tires and had no issues at all with control/slippage which was great. However, as the poster from MN stated range was an issue. With the combination of snow tires and cold my battery drained between 10 and almost 20 percent faster than normal depending on how cold it was. I drive about 25 miles a day commuting and have a charger at home so it was not a major problem day to day but certainly I would not want to start out on any road trip under those conditions. Again though very happy over all with the ID.4 but the winter battery performance (with snow tires) was disappointing.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I really appreciate this info. I’m also in upstate NY and have been debating the RWD/AWD trade off. True winter tires always make a huge difference!

Winter range is always an issue for EVs, regardless of power train. I assume it will affect RWD and AWD versions roughly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, winter range is better if you have a heated garage. Doesn't need to be indoor temp. Just warmer than the outside.

19. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely! And there are other tricks to help, like charging the car immediately before leaving so the battery is warm. And pre-heating before unplugging. This is great for day-to-day driving where you are leaving at a set time from your home charger.

The trouble is, that’s not when I need the extra range. All modern EVs have enough range for my typical day, even my 110-mile Cooper SE. when I really need the range is when traveling. I’m often staying at a hotel without a charger (this situation is slowly improving as more hotels get chargers). But the car is necessarily cold soaked overnight without the ability to preheat from the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. WA7S

WA7S New Member

I recommend AWD. I’ve driven both. The 2WD could not make it up our hill.

Attached Files:

21. bubzki

bubzki Member

With what tires?

NickD likes this.
  22. WA7S

WA7S New Member

2wd had stock tires with 12,000 miles.

NickD likes this.