Real Life range of 2017 i3 with 94ah Battery?

Discussion in 'i3' started by FloridaSun, Apr 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying a 2017 i3 with the 94ah Battery for the wife (not REX as I don't want the maintenance on the gas engine) and I wonder what the real life range of the car is. We are in Florida, so there will be plenty of AC use.
    If she would drive 70 - 75 mph on the highway, what is the realistic range. I'm sure that around town, the car will likely exceed it's rated range of 114 miles but I wonder how bad the drop is at highway speeds.. While I get 250 to 275 mile range on my 2019 Kona Electric at 65 mph, it drops to like 230 or so at 70 mph and around 200 - 210 miles range at 75 mph, so I assume that the range loss will be similar on the i3.. Can you still get let's say 80 miles range at 75 mph?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can watch someone drive 177 miles in the heavier MINI Cooper SE, which has about the same size battery and the motor from an i3s.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have already bought the i3 I was thinking of. Already put it to the test.. Drove about 60 miles, mostly at 65 to 75 mph, then charged for 1 hour and 10 minutes (27 miles) and drove back 60 miles. When we arrived home, the i3 had 41 miles of range remaining, meaning that we would have made the trip without charging at the destination... but barely.. It's safe to say that even at somewhat higher speed, you'll almost always get 100 miles out of it.. That's sufficient for my wife.. She usually doesn't drive more than 100 miles in a day.

Agzand and insightman like this.