Ran my first Summon test

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

At the dog park, I parked the car head into to curb at the far corner of the lot and planned to test when the dogs were done:
    • The car turned on lights, backed out, turned on turn signals, and steered to point to where I was standing. The it stopped.
    • I tried again and the car steered towards me and advanced about 10-15 meters and stopped.
    • I tried a third time with the car about 30-40 meters away but nothing happened. Still, it was in the middle of the lot away from other cars.
    The bright sun obscured any messages on my iPhone so I need to replicate the test at night. I'll also take iPhone screen shots and pictures. There may be other obscure options I need to enable. So my results:
    1. PASSED - exited parking place with lights, turn signals, and steering to point at me.
    2. MARGINAL - 10-15 meter segments are OK but would prefer a longer drive.
    Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Tesla customers are not like "other car company" customers. We're usually better off; bright, and; curious. We are the early adopters who want to find out what works and doesn't.

You may not have seen "other car company" customers on the road but I have. I do not want those idiots in current Teslas ... until we can have mandatory "full self driving" with no driver controls. Some (most?) "other car company" owners do not deserve to do that poor excuse for what they call "driving." We also like a good joke.

I found some affordable, wrap-around sunglasses at WalMart in the fishing section. I'm planning to get a pair and start driving with my chin on my chest while otherwise motionless. Yes ... a sleeping Tesla driver.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. Haha,... a little full of yourself,... maybe...:)

David Green likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Just replying in kind to this:
    Tesla owners are clever "guinea pigs."

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Curious, I agree Bob... I am curious too, did my own Smart Summon test, this could be a cool feature someday, but right now it is unreliable, and not overly safe (99.9% of drivers can handle parking lots better and with better judgement) I like the idea, but as with many other things Tesla it was released long before its ready.

9. Yeah, really clever guinea pigs in some of the past Tesla "accidents" where Tesla of course blamed the driver. If you think that is clever, hate to see your definition of stupid.

I didn't buy an EV because I was "curious", to me that would fall into my definition of stupid.

David Green likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Regardless, I'll wait until later when it is cooler and darker to re-run the summon test. One of the videos shows a lot of pauses and with the dogs, I may have been too much in a hurry. There is a local strip mall all but deserted that I can use for the next test.

Bob Wilson

11. David Green

Haha! Smart Summon is an interesting feature, IF (and this is a big IF) it worked as intended 99.999% of the time. As for Bob doing tests in empty parking lots when conditions are best, haha! I say try it at Costco on Saturday, and summon it across the parking lot.... Oh ya, I did that, and it failed to summon, and stopped traffic creating congestion.

Imagine if my massage seats in my E-Tron worked as expected 1/3 of the time, Audi would be hearing from me loudly...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

The reason the anti-Tesla crowd is so agitated: this is the first example of non-driver, full self-driving. Although not on public roads, yet, it has put all of the other self-driving claimants on notice. Tesla owners can demo driver-less technology that others can only 'promise' someday.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. David Green

I do not think the people at Cruise Automation who's cars run on public roads every day (in complicated situations) with only one intervention per 1000 miles of city driving are too worried about Tesla's clumsy parking lot system, that can go only 200 feet and works 10% of the time as intended...

15. I would love to have a car that I could summon, or tell it go park somewhere. There are many times I've had to drop off my wife at a store/restaurant somewhere, go hunt for a spot, and then walk back in the rain,... not fun. However, before I pay for such a feature, would like to have it working, and not be the test guinea pig for the car manufacturer.

My son (who has the M3) and I talk a lot about car features and technology. One of the hot subjects is the full autonomous driving capability. I keep telling him, that I will be convinced when it can drive out to our cabin, which involves a rough FSR, locked gates, and some pretty steep hills (where you have to straddle the ruts). Then I will shell out my money...

I think what will happen first is the robo taxi's (but not Elon's) where you can be taken downtown and not have to mess with valet parking. That would make sense to me. Also would be great in resort towns, where you get off a plane, and never have to rent a car. For that matter, would be good for business travel, too, not having to rent a car (very time wasting).

David Green likes this.
  16. David Green

Exactly, a real summon / park feature that works all the time and you do not have to watch and hold a dead man switch would be terrific, but not available to the public yet, the Tesla Smart (really?) summon is nothing more then a novelty gimmick, with little real value.

R P likes this.
  17. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

No other auto maker does. And no other auto maker offers its customers OTA additions to the car's functionality, either.

Every added feature in a Tesla car comes with "off" as the default mode. If you want to turn it on, you have to go thru warning screens which clearly state it's a "Beta" feature. If you don't like it, then don't turn it on! It's just bizarre how some Tesla detractors and/or bashers try to paint it as "a bad thing" when Tesla offers its car owners more choices!

Dunno about you, buddy, but I would never, ever complain about being given more choices and more entirely optional features in products I buy.

18. Pushmi-Pullyu

If we were to form a judgement based only on Bob's comments and yours, then clearly Bob is correct: Tesla car owners are smarter than non-owners. Or more specifically, they certainly are better informed than Tesla detractors and bashers!

It's telling that you're getting support from this forum's only serial Tesla basher who's an TSLA short-seller and self-proclaimed member of TslaQ's "shorty air force" cult, "David Green".

If I were you, I wouldn't want "support" from his type.

19. Pushmi-Pullyu

Human drivers can't even parallel park correctly 99.9% of the time, let alone 99.999% of the time.

Autonomous cars don't have to be perfect drivers; they just have to be better than human drivers.

20. Sorry, not meaning to just bash Tesla. My responses were more to the over the top hyping posts by Bob, which in my opinion were just not that smart.

I actually do give Musk credit for the EV movement, and were it not for him, I am sure I wouldn't own an EV at this time. It started with my son buying an early M3 (LR RWD, premium interior upgrade), and his experience peeked my interest, too. Then along came the Cdn Fed subsidy on May 1st, and that prompted me to buy my first ever EV, a Kona Ulitmate.

But of course, couldn't help comparing the Kona to my son's M3, which basically cost double my Kona, after all his options and accessories. And the range is essentially the same, 500km for his M3 (which he never achieves) and 415 kms for my Kona (but it over achieves to 500+ kms).

Then I can't help but notice the deficiencies, or lack of features on his M3, which I have with my Kona. He can't get a hitch (has to have a roof carrier for bikes), no CarPlay or Android Auto (has to have a phone mount to get his Waze), difficult to get in and out of (have to really duck low to get under the top door sill), uncomfortable leather seats with no ventilation or even perforations (seats in Kona much softer and luxurious), no HUD (would be very useful given that distracting center monitor), can't put a taller cooler in the back trunk, and generally a very plain, cheap looking interior (Kona feels much more luxurious).

In fairness, there are a couple things I do like better on the M3. The Sentry feature is nice, and it does feel a little more solid at higher speeds on the hwy. Both are not quiet though. Power is similar. Kona actually has more torque and hp than the cheaper Standard Range M3. Driver Assist features (that matter) are similar to the Kona.

So given price and value, the smart choice IMO is the Kona over the M3. Only problem is availability. Demand far outstrips supply (unlike the Teslas), and many month lead time to buy one. Don't get me wrong, though, am not saying the Kona is a luxury car, far from it. But in comparison to the M3, it certainly is more luxurious.

21. bwilson4web

Or perhaps envy that I got summons six days ago and your ride didn’t.

Now if it is possible to present data from a peer to the EPA showing Kona and Tesla performance, by all means trot it out. Otherwise, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Engineering metrics, not grade school taunting works.

In requirements analysis for source selection, we separate mandatory from optional requirements. My Standard Range Plus fully meets our mandatory requirements and what others have cited about their rides has no weight for our family.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  22. David Green

Haha! Bob, no-one on this forum is envious of you, you were buying Tesla stock over $320, that is hardly an enviable position. I think your calculations on that valuation were (out to lunch). and Elon keeps acquiring other companies using TSLA stock, which dilutes your position more and more meaning the valuation has to go even higher for you to recover fully. Meanwhile on the summon, let me know when it works as designed 99 out of 100 times, and then I think you will have a real Beta product. For now, its just a toy, for people with no life to play with, and go "Wow!" "Ou!" "Ah!" My baby girl has toys like that, she has a little doggie that rolls on the floor and plays music (until it hits something) She loves it, but after seeing it once or twice, I am not amused.

23. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't find anything that Bob has posted as being over-the-top. If anything, I find them informative and enjoy reading them.

I do find find Green to be over-the-top as the above post shows. Frankly, I think he needs to take a time out.