radar detector power tap options

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Louis W, Nov 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Louis W

Louis W Member

For those of you who have hardwired your radar detector using a power tap, which one did you use? I'm aware of two options--one made by Radar Mount and the other by MirrorTap:
    The MirrorTap has more tap size options but is double the price. If the taps included with the Radar Mount product works fine in the F56, then I see no reason to get the other.

This video covers some of the other differences between the two:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. OYSTR

OYSTR Member

I used this version, which looks the same as Radar Mount. 30cm, wouldn't go any shorter. Did FitCamX at the same time so made a slot in its housing to run the cable out.
    [​IMG]

4. Louis W

Louis W Member

To follow up, I ended up purchasing the Radar Mount product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR8BF16. Installation was simple; the cover to the rearview mirror and rain sensor is held together in three places. To open it, use a trim tool and pry the left side "over" the right so that the hook releases the tab.

On my 2023 SE, the brown / black wire was ground and the red / blue wire was switched power. I also tried the rain sensor, but the power wire seemed to always be hot. I used the blade taps and did not use the pin tap adapters.

My only issue was that the taps were just barely too short. It was good enough initially, but once I cable tied everything together, it backed out just enough to lose contact. I wish that it were offered with longer taps so that I could just trim as needed. This would have saved me a lot of time. To solve the problem, I had to trim off some of the insulation to lengthen the tap. I don't think it's making the best connection, but it's good enough for now.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    insightman likes this.
  5. Louis W

Louis W Member

Spoke too soon I guess. After going for a couple drives, I've found that the power just isn't reliable. If I hit a bump, it'll sometimes power cycle. I know it's a contact issue because if I press on the cover (to reduce the tension on the cable), the power comes back.

If you're looking for a ready-to-go product, this isn't it, though it might work if you tap the rain sensor. The taps on the MirrorTap product look longer so I might try that next or just build my own.

6. Louis W

Louis W Member

final update: I tried again but this time with the MirrorTap product MT-4015: https://smile.amazon.com/MIRRORTAP-POWER-CORDS-MirrorTap-MT-4015/dp/B00OQQWHLO/. It worked perfectly and took me < 10 minutes to install. The taps are long and thin enough for the mirror plug and there was sufficient length to reach my V1 on the driver side visor. It's still more expensive than the Radar Mount tap, but not as expensive as the one they have with interchangeable taps.

7. To remove this ad click here.