Radar blocked warning

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Aug 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I had it last February while driving in a blizzard. Snow blocked radar

4. I didn't know there was an error message for camera, but interesting to know.
    I think the blocked radar message refers to the black square below the front license plate (if you have one), maybe I should say below the 278 dimples.

5. FloridaSun

Never noticed a sensor at that location. The measage was refering to a camera which likely is integrated in the device connected to the rear view mirror.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. FloridaSun

Here is the message I git.. image396.jpg

8. You can feel (and see) the wires behind the square.
    I believe the camera sees the road lines and the front radar senses vehicle ahead

9. Back to the manual I guess, not now-later. (Snowbirds to perform in Nanaimo in a few minutes)

10. FloridaSun

Looked for the square below where the license plate goes and I don't see a square.. There are the holes where the license plate frame was but no sensors. There is something in the Hyundai emblem but I believe that this is an LED. 20190814_220100.jpg

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. KonaTom

It’s just below the dimpled area, about 10 cm wide and 8 cm high, but in your case I can’t see it for sure. Maybe you don’t have FCA. Or at least only camera assist which will not offer braking I don’t think.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. [​IMG]

Its part of the adaptive cruise control system, I guess its only available on the Ultimate model in the US.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  14. FloridaSun

I believe that FCA does brake the car. That radar is most likely for the adaptive cruise control.
    BTW, I got the "Camera obscurred" warning again today.. Windshield was fogging up this morning as it was very humid and I got the warning but it went away by itself.

15. FloridaSun

I did some research and it appears that the radar is used for pedestrian detection and adaptive cruise control while the camera is used for the FCA..

16. Had the warning today (snow)
    All sensors were blocked, radar blocked, FCA off warning, Lane assist warning, all kinds of dash lights I didn't even know were there - had to reduce the regen level 1 to avoid control issues. First day of winter, I was hoping for mid January before having to deal with this :(

mho likes this.
  17. Maple

Maple Member

I had the same situation last time when I was driving in snow day. As long as clean the snow built in front bumper the alarm was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. A rare "sea affect" system hit with little warning, the area I was driving in up to 15 cm in a couple of hours.
    https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1032434
    At least the traction even with the Nexens worked good:rolleyes:

mho likes this.
  19. Weird, I have driven through a few snow storms between last winter an this season( big one coming today) and the only thing I get is the back up sensors going nuts when I go into reverse. It only takes a few millimeters of snow on the rear bumper to make them upset. Meanwhile neither the my FCA camera or front radar seem to care one bit so far.

20. KonaTom

Probably dryer snow than electriceddy had here on the west coast. It sticks to vertical surfaces here.

21. I received it frequently in quebec when it snow. Will try to find a way to find a stuff, like rain-x, to mitigate this problem and the rear camera.