R1S pre-order

Discussion in 'R1S' started by MattD, May 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MattD

MattD New Member

Check in if you have. All the buzz around the truck, I wonder how many opted for the SUV. I pre-ordered on January 2.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

I am wondering why Rivian would not make SUV on same platform as the pu truck. 135in compared to 121in wheelbase
    Most people would prefer more room especially if going camping etc
    If Ford uses platform for bigger SUV they will outsell Rivian smaller truck!
    Bad business Hmmm

4. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

What is your source that most people would want a bigger vehicle for the occasional camping trip? Over say, easier to park, fits in their garage, already carries more than they will utilize 90% of the time, etc?

1 person likes this.
  5. I'm pretty sure they're both on the same platform and share a 135.8-inch wheelbase.

6. DucRider

R1T does show the 135.8 in (3,450 mm) wheelbase with a 215.6 in (5,475 mm) overall length.
    R1S is on a 121 in (3,075 mm) wheelbase and 198 in (5,040 mm) length.
    Tow rating is also less on the R1S - 3,500 kg vs 5,000.
    R1S has a touch more ground clearance and a greater breakover angle than the R1T

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

Most people if given choice will chose bigger as there is no fuel penalty for size with electric truck
    Also u may be able to sleep in back of 135in model if weather bad
    Would prob fit in garage with air suspension lowered
    Look at sales of suburban to Tahoe
    Shud at least make both

9. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

Also 6-8in shorter than Suburban or Expedition max

10. JackA

JackA New Member

We are replacing a Chevrolet Trailblazer so my size comparisons are all compared to a Trailblazer but the dimensions for the other vehicles might me useful.

Attached Files:

11. JackA

JackA New Member

We reserved the R1S because we want a vehicle that is like an SUV we drive now. The R1S will fit in our garage too. The R1T, not so well. Our reservation was acknowledged by Rivian on 29 November 2018.

1 person likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Wow. I can't believe I hadn't noticed both the differences in wheelbase, but also the overall lengths of the two vehicles. Also just noticed the R1S has 5mm (.2 inches) more ground clearance, which is a pretty minor difference, but still.

So, they've got similar flexibility in their platform as Volkswagen has in its MEB platform (which is to be used for a plethora of different models). Golf clap.

14. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

15. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

Yes dom
    Is there any way of confirming if they plan a Suv on bigger platform?
    They say they are planning several models by 2021. I’m interested in 5units but would like bigger truck.
    Not much space behind 3rd row in standard SUV

16. Well, we could ask them if they're planning on a larger SUV. I tend to doubt a larger one would happen within the next few years, though. They have lots on their plate with these first two, and they've said the 3rd vehicle will be a "rally-like car."

17. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

18. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

That’s unfortunate Dom. Seems it would take minimal engineering as they already have that platform length for pickup. Besides that it covers both ends of SUV segment
    They also said want to stay away from car business. Please ask.
    I wrote RJ directly about this.
    No response

19. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Already placed my "pre-order" (Rivian not accepting "reservations" yet) for the R1S, though the more I learn about the R1T I *may* change it to the R1T when I'm notified to place my order.

Respectively disagree. Unless you're flying in the vacuum of space, bigger means more material; more material means more weight; more weight affects range. Of course the affects on the range will vary depending on the aerodynamics of the "bigger" vehicle, but the range will still be less due to the additional weight.

FWIW, I believe it was R.J. who has stated the R1S will share about 85% of the R1T. I don't recall him going into any detail of that 85% other than to say it will allow them to launch both vehicles at the same time or something to that affect. {WAG ALERT} Perhaps there is something designed into the platform that allows for different wheelbase lengths thus not impacting materials and production line efficiency?

20. Limo Jer

Limo Jer New Member

Very little change in range. 10mi as per there estimate

21. DucRider

I think you are just going to have to accept that the market research Rivian did about their target audience dictated a smaller SUV than you are looking for (at least in their first models).

There is no one vehicle that is going to satisfy every customer, and your desires seem to fall outside of the demographic they are targeting. At this point, the best you can hope for is a larger variant produced sometime down the road, but that is likely several years away. Or maybe Ford will produce an SUV as well as the F150ish EV they are planning on the Rivian platform?

22. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

If that's the case, @Limo Jer, you might want to check out if you haven't already is Atlis Motor Vehicles and Workhorse W-15 EV pickups, admittedly more likely to go production after Rivian, if at all.

23. I pre-ordered the R1S on 12/13/21.