Question about EVSE placement

Discussion in 'General' started by FrankS, Sep 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I just got delivery of a Kona Electric and bought an EVSE, my situation is that I don't have a garage, but my driveway is situated so that I can park right beside a basement window that is near my home breaker panel. I was wondering if there would be a downside to installing the main box of the EVSE in my basement and putting the charging cord out of the window (with proper weather sealing of course) and leaving it outside. The charging cord would be plenty long enough to reach from the basement to my driveway.

I live in Canada so I like the idea of not having to put the main EVSE where it will be subject to rain and snow.

Just wondering if anyone can think of issues I might have with this set up? Advantages/disadvantage?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Welcome to the forum.
    I have my EVSE beside my electrical panel inside and feed the J1772 cord through a bushed 4" hole via a "secret" insulated hinged door. Works fine 7 years later. If you leave the J1772 cord outside just be sure to prevent water ( or snow) from contacting the pins within the connector.

4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I also live in Canada and have no garage. My Aerovironment charging dock is installed is installed on the South wall beside the driveway. It gets everything mom
    nature can hurl at it. Only a little over two years but no problems so far. If it does fail I intend to get a Flo dock. They are manufactured in Canada and built to
    withstand the Canadian climate. The protection designed into this equipment must be awesome. I've had to unplug many times in standing water and/or pouring rain and I ain't dead yet!

bwilson4web likes this.