qi wireless charging phone compatibility

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by popnfrresh, May 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

I was trying to find which phones fit the qi charger in the car. The area seems small. Is there a list of phones which will fit?

Is there a "outlet" in the center console to put an aftermarket one in?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have my Pixel 3XL in there just fine but with a larger phone you'll need a right angle or small profile usb connector or it's a very tight squeeze and really wears the cable fast at the usb connection. Mine's already cracking, showing bare wire.

4. I have a Galaxy S9+ that fits fine too, but not if you want to use Android Auto. I'm very VERY disappointed that I can't use the phone wirelessly with the car's head unit. It literally makes my wireless charger worthless to 99% of my trips.

Wildeyed likes this.
  5. I'm not sure I understand completely. You want to run Android Auto without a USB cable? I'm not sure I've ever seen wireless AA. Bluetooth works fine for some functions. Why a not just get a cable?

CJC likes this.
  6. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I can fit my Razer phone 2 in there but i have to take it out of the case.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I think they mean that with larger phones the USB cable is compromised and can wear out prematurely, or it’s so big the wireless charging won’t work . I have an iPhone XR and it is big too. It fits, and the cable’s a little tight, but it works and I have wireless charging and car play so I am happy. I think the cable will wear out earlier but it’s no big deal. Some have tried an angled USB cable. Btw my phone fits with a plastic case on.

9. XtsKonaTrooper

In that setup isnt it charging both wireless and by the cable?

10. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

Just ordered a s10+ and worried it may not fit. Im fine with going with a 6" right angle usb 6 cable and replacing often. I mean, ive spent 13 cents on fuel over 2200 miles on this car.

Wildeyed and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  11. I want to put the phone on the wireless charger, close the door AND use it for Android Auto, without a cable. Apparently there are ways to accomplish this but they are complicated and require a head unit that can receive WiFi. My Ford C-Max Energi would update over WiFi, but I'm not sure the Kona has wifi. But yes, you can use AA without a USB cable, it's just not easy.

In summary, my point is the wireless charger is worthless if you always have to have the phone hooked up to a cable. The whole point is to quickly and easily place the phone on the wireless charger and pick it up and go in a second without messing with wires.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ajstjacques

ajstjacques Member

The Kona head unit has Wifi capabilities and could - in theory, since it runs Android itself - be updated to run Wireless Android Auto, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  14. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I have Samsung Note 8 in a flip case and it fits (just marginal with the case) and it charges wireless just fine. I think with the S10 you will have lots of room to leave it on wireless pad with a right angle usb cord to use Android Auto as S10 is quite a bit smaller than my Note 8. My Note 8 is a little to large for that so I just plug in with a regular cord and leave it sitting in the wireless bay. It gives me AA and charges too so I don't have a problem doing that as I am terrible about forgetting my phone in the car on the wireless charger if the door to the charging pad is closed even with getting the warning. lol

15. KonaTom

I think so , but not sure. It charges quickly

16. XtsKonaTrooper

I have to check the back of the wirelrss charging area and possibly cable that way and making a cutout, so the adapter would sit fine and not be restrictive.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Phones won't charge both ways at once, cord takes priority so it just ignores the wireless option.

NHPilot likes this.
  18. KonaTom

Where did you get that information?

19. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I have Samsung Note 8 and Samsung says so. lol No, the device will be charged but only through the Wired charger. Even when the device started the charging through the wireless charging pad firstly and then was connected with wired charger later, the device will be charged only through wired charger.

NHPilot and Mattsburgh like this.
  20. I just googled it. For example, here's what Samsung's website says in response to the question of whether you can charge both ways at once:

No, the device will be charged but only through the Wired charger. Even when the device started the charging through the wireless charging pad firstly and then was connected with wired charger later, the device will be charged only through wired charger.

But common sense should also tell us this cannot be done, we all own an electric car and we know what happens when it gets to 80% on a DC Fast charger... it slows down b/c you can only charge the battery so fast without causing overheating, exploding, fires, lol. Similarly, phones that have fast charging capability are likely going to charge as fast as possible already... you can't make it go any faster by trying two charging methods at once, the fast chargers are already configured to provide the fastest safe charging the phone is going to allow. Ultimately the phone won't permit it, which is the way it should be, just like the car won't permit DC fast to charge as quickly at 90% as it does at 50%.

NHPilot and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  21. XtsKonaTrooper

Ive turned off the wirelessly charging option because i have to use the cable for AA.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  22. JSU

JSU New Member

Just a funky behavior about the wireless charging pad that I've noticed (at least in my Kona). I have a 3+ year old iPhone 6S which does not have wireless charging, but I had the Kona's wireless charging pad enabled. I would sometimes notice a clicking sound coming from the center of the console, pretty much near where the charging pad is. Apparently it was cycling on and off even though I didn't see any indicator telling me this. It sounded like a power relay switch. When I stopped the car and disabled the wireless charging...the sound went away. I will have to take note of the measurements of that space before I get my next phone though!

Mattsburgh likes this.
  23. I may do that too. I even considered putting something like a door stop on the charger so that the phone could be in there, and angled up with the cable attached, but still "mostly" out of my way. I bought a 90 degree right cable that just came today while I'm at work; looking forward to see if that will work to allow my phone to fit in the wireless space and still be connected via the cable.

CJC likes this.