qi charging anomoly

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CR EV, May 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

My old phone (Galaxy S10+) with Otterbox Strada case worked fine on the qi charger as does my wife's Galaxy S20 Ultra with the Otterbox Symmetry case. My new phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra) with an Otterbox Strada case charges fine on the qi chargers we have in the home, including some old Nokia qi chargers, but will not charge in the Niro. I'll ask Otterbox for their take, but looks like the qi in the Niro is not as robust as seems to be standard. Anybody else?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Wireless charging is inherently not robust, with significant sensitivity to just a few mm of position change.

https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9

This is a fun idea that is not terribly practical, or IMO, even valuable. Its biggest selling point is it is it removes a possible mechanical failure mode. I have not had much trouble with charging connectors in any device, and never in a cell phone, including one that is 6.5 years old...

4. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Clearly not a big deal...I like the convenience of just plopping my phone down at home and then picking it up. In the car, not so much an issue.