PSEG New Jersey rebate for EVSE installation

Discussion in 'General' started by porky, Jan 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. porky

porky Member

I did not find any information about PSE&G NJ's EVSE incentive on these forums so I thought I'd post here. Note: PSE&G LI has a different program.

PSE&G NJ has an incentive (as of Jan 2022) to reimburse you up-to $1,500 spent towards installing an EVSE at your home. This does not include the cost of the "approved" EVSE itself, but includes the cost of upgrading your panel, running a cable to your EVSE, permit costs etc. What is an "approved" EVSE you say? Currently PSE&G will reimburse said costs if you install a ChargePoint or Juicebox EVSE that is capable of transmitting usage data back to PSE&G. Sorry, Tesla owners, Wall chargers are not on the approved list yet.

What's more, PSE&G NJ will give you a bill credit for the difference between the higher RS (Residential Service) and lower RLM (Residential Load Management) or "time of use" rate when you charge your EV at off-peak hours.

But wait there's more...PSE&G will also make upgrades from their Point of Service to your panel up to $5,000 if you have an older service that does not support, say a 200amp service.

I have a detached garage so I got an electrician to run a 240V cable from my basement, where my panel is, to my garage and terminate it at a 14-50 outlet. Cost me about $1,500 for the installation and permit costs. My application to PSE&G has been approved so I should get all of this back by check. This is what PSE&G NJ says

Residential smart charging customers are eligible for:
    • Up to $1,500 toward the behind the meter installation of a residential Level 2 charger
    • Up to $5,000 of pole to meter utility service upgrades (if needed)
    • Credit on charging during off-peak periods to help lower your bill
    Electric Vehicle Program - PSE&G (pseg.com)

[​IMG]

The fine print.
    Make sure you read this link carefully before you spend any money. You are not reimbursed for the cost of the EVSE.

PSE&G - Customer Electric Vehicle (pseg.com)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Schreibdave

Schreibdave New Member

Did PSE&G impose any requirements on who you could hire to do the work? I know the state or town might have a licensure requirement but does PSE&G have any requirements? Thanks

4. porky

porky Member

Yes, the electrician must be licensed to operate in NJ.

5. Schreibdave

Schreibdave New Member

NYS doesn't have statewide licensure for electricians but some counties and cities do - like NYC.

So, PSE&G wanted evidence of licensure. Did they also want evidence of having pulled a permit?

Thanks

6. porky

porky Member

Yes, they need you to send them a copy of the permit. Here is what they say on their terms page.

PSE&G - Customer Electric Vehicle (pseg.com)
    As to the licensure requirement. Here is some more information from their website.

https://nj.myaccount.pseg.com/myservicepublic/electricvehicles

Schreibdave likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AndyfromTena

AndyfromTena New Member

Hi,
    Did PSEG cut a check to reimburse your expenses or give you credit to your PSEG account?
    Thanks.

9. porky

porky Member

PSE&G posted a credit to my account. I guess that is their default method. I emailed them to ask if I could get a check instead and they said they can do that. I never requested the check though. The credit works just fine for me.