Problem changing key fob battery

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tangible, Dec 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

The 2032 battery in my key died, and I followed the instructions to pry the fob apart. I replaced the battery, but now when I try to snap the case back together it resists and then starts the panic alarm.

Any hints on getting this done without waking the neighborhood ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

Check if the buttons line up and you're not snapping the silicone.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you have the battery in the correct orientation?

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Walk far down the block before trying to snap the fob case closed. If you're sending the panic signal you must have the battery +/- oriented correctly. The fob battery swap went so easily for me that I can't offer any other tips.

DaleL and Louis Nisenbaum like this.
  6. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Thanks, folks. I finally got it. Everything was properly oriented, so the "try, try again" method eventually worked. Amazing what a piece of junk it is. For what they charge for these they could afford better, one would think.

I can't wait for the time when our phones and watches will replace these pocket-bulging monstrosities. Apple has already announced their approach (CarKey), but it will take a long time for the manufacturers to start incorporating it, and whatever Android develops, I think.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

These guys are my go to for any battery in a gadget. https://www.batteriesplus.com/. They replace it for you for the cost of the battery and since they do it 20 times a day and not once every 24 months, they typically don't break anything.

Tangible likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the need for Android and Apple phone apps for vehicles. Follow Tesla's lead and get us away from these super expensive key fobs!

10. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Actually, I just saw a commercial on TV the other night. The pet dog buries all the key fobs in the yard and the wife just uses her phone to unlock the car and start it.