Pro version range guess?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Angelo, Nov 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Any educated guesses on ID 4 pro AWD range? EPA just gave the 2wd model a 250 miles rating. Will they put a bigger battery in it? I think it’s an 85 kwh.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Battery will remain the same as for the RWD Pro. The AWD will probably be about 225 miles with the added weight and higher output motors.

Angelo likes this.
  4. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

Really need to be in the 250 range and up. Maybe it can do it as early Model 3's AWD had more range than RWD but I think that was due to smaller motors in the AWD version and the smaller RWD motors being used most of the time. Well VW go that route or keep production and parts costs low by using same setup in the rear and just adding motors for the FWD portion of AWD.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I was wondering how the rear wheel drive ID.4 would handle in the snow. I have no real interest in AWD - FWD generally does fine for the limited amount of snow that we get. But years ago I had RWD cars that were simply awful in the snow. And others that were fine - it sometimes depended on the differential and whether it would let one tire spin freely.

I suppose we will hear from Europe how the ID.3 does this winter.

6. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

Most have had the same experience. The EV's are heavier and more weight distribution, they'd be like the VW Bugs vs. other RWD cars in the 60's but still not as good as a FWD. So RWD is not really a choice. So AWD or bust.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

I drove rear-wheeled Mustangs in the snow for years back in the 1980's and 90's. Get a good set of snow tires and the ID.4 RWD will be fine. Especially with the added weight of the battery pack.

polyphonic likes this.