Portable EVSE questions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Gsbrryprk8, Dec 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I drive 5-20 miles daily, so I just use the Kona’s OEM level 1 EVSE at home and didn’t install a level 2. For infrequent long trips I plan to use commercial EVSEs, but would like to carry a portable level 2 for added flexibility.

Though there are many on Amazon, the cheaper EVSEs (~$200) aren’t UL certified, and given the potential hazards and circumstances, I only want one that is. (Some cheaper ones use UL certified parts, but aren’t certified as a whole—I find that misleading).

I’m considering the ClipperCreek LCS-20p (16A 240V) and LCS 30p (24A 240V). There are several plug options and I figure the 14-50 is the way to go since Tesla uses this for its portable EVSE and 14-50 is available at campgrounds.

Are there other portables that meet these criteria? Am I correct about the 14-50 plug? Should I consider other options as well? I’m new to this so I’d appreciate any advice. Happy to be part of this growing community—thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

4. I would recommend a 40 amp unit as this allows for changes in the future should you decide get another BEV. I also recommend adjustable current settings as this allow the most flexibility in plug choice adapters. I have a GE (no longer available) with a 14-50 plug and 10, 16, 24 and 32 amp settings. I also carry 14-30 adapter for when I travel which allows me to plug in to dryer outlet at friends and family that I visit. Other adapters are available. I use the variable current setting appropriate to the adapter I am using. If I am using the 14-30 I set the amps at 24 (80% of max for the plug). If I use the 14-50 I set the amps to 32 (rating for a 40 amp circuit and the max setting on my charger).

some Other options for ul listed are charge point, electrify America, juices box

R P likes this.
  5. I know we have had past discussions about this on the forum, but instead of setting the EVSE to 24A, can't we just set the max in the car to medium (can't remember what they call it) to lower the max amp draw?

6. Yes that can be done. However when I set my 32 amp to medium in the car I get 26 amps which is a little to high for a 30 amp circuit and might pop the curuit breaker on older installations. If I set it to low I get around 14amps which is considerably slower than the 24 amp. Most of the adjustable EVES have 12, 16 ,24 an 32 amp settings. These correspond to the 80 % settings for 15, 20, 30, and 40 amp circuit breakers giving the max kilowatts for continuous safe charging

R P likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I purchased this charger from Amazon and it’s been great so far: BESENERGY 32 Amp EV Charger Level 2, NEMA14-50 220V-240V.

I’d recommend you have a separate circuit/plug installed for whatever charger you buy. It’s less stress on the house wiring, but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Good luck.

9. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of future-proofing with a higher current device. I’ll look around a bit more...

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs