Please do a story about 'ERANGE' tires

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jan 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

I tried to find tires for my 2019 Tesla Standard Range Plus and got:

upload_2023-1-6_6-1-7.png

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've read on InsideEVs' forums that European tire vendors provide efficiency ratings for the tires they sell. Does each European tire vendor who provides tire efficiency ratings conduct their own testing or do they display ratings from an independent organization? How hard would it be for US tire vendors to provide this information?

Tire Rack has a page that claims, "Thankfully, there is an EV tire for nearly every driving style and condition." However, it doesn't say anything about comparing efficiency on that page.

4. bwilson4web

I gave up on getting independent, tire rolling resistance. My last attempt with EU brands failed to find US equivalents.

Bob Wilson

insightman likes this.
  5. They are a new brand, owned by Sailun, and just launching in 2023, so they've just been working on creating brand recognition ahead of actually shipping tires. Should happen soon, though.

Hankook also has an EV-specific line called Ion, with a winter tread. Not sure about availability of those yet - I just stumbled across them last week.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Nokian tires are rated for EVs, and I'm driving on Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires which have minimal impact on range. I really like them.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just had a look and the Hakkapeliitta R5 is specifically for EVs. This is good to know because this is the winter tire I trust the most.

Puppethead likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

From my Prius days, I had been using Bridgestone and before Sumitomo. But Bridgestone dropped the ECOPIA tires in my size.

Good to know about ERANGE and explains why I can't order them.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Hey Dom. I bet you need good winter tires in Tallahassee.
    I've seen videos on Kyle's channel with his model 3 and Nokian tires and they performed well in deep snow. I use the studded R10's on my vehicle.

Domenick likes this.
  11. Yeah, no need for snow tires down here, but I am from Canada and I know how big a difference good snow tires make. :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Luckily in my case, that would be the difference of not having to take the bus 2-3 days a year, but you are absolutely correct for the rest of the country;)

Domenick likes this.
  14. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

To get US tyre vendors to provide this information, a law would be required. Without a law, they can use vague marketing bullcrap to describe their tyres. Hard numbers are absolute evil to marketing departments.
    Many US market tyres are also available in Europe. Those ones, you can get the labels. For non European market ones, you are not getting numbers.
    My WR G4 are US market only, so no label. Hakkas are worldwide, so there are labels.
    Anecdotally, I felt the wr-g4s on my R53 were lower rolling resistance than my 'C' rated summers. On my SE, they seem close to the A rated Hankooks.
    I believe consumer reports have been doing rolling resistance tests.

15. bwilson4web

They have a rating but it isn't clear to me they have any empirical data behind them.

Bob Wilson

16. insightman

upload_2023-1-11_18-13-4.png

17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

“Evo 3 feels better”

For something that can be quantifiable measured, that’s pretty sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. insightman

In the unlikely case my meager photoshopping skills deceived anyone, let me say I wrote that comment into the Rolling resistance column.

GetOffYourGas and Domenick like this.