Paging Detroit…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Jun 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Are there any SE owners in the Detroit area?

On June 1 there was an article in the Detroit Free Press about the SE. I was hopeful that someone had access and could share it. Inquiring minds and all…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Here.

Sorry, subscription required.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If it's a real story about MINI corporate strategies, why does only the Detroit Free Press have it? Certainly, Gabriel Bridger is more tuned into what MINI is doing than the Freep, so if it's not on his Motoring File website, I wonder where the Freep got their exclusive?

Whatever. I caught the gist of the Detroit Free Press article from Google. It sounds like MINI wants to sell more new SEs so their dealers have more used SEs to sell, too:
    The Detroit Free Press reported that MINI USA is urging owners of its popular electric vehicle, the Mini Cooper SE, to trade it in for a new EV to boost its used car inventory.

So SE owners who probably received a $7,500 tax credit when they bought their SE would be selling it and buying a new one with perhaps fewer features that's not eligible for a tax credit. And then I'd have to remove the new SE's skeuomorphic fake hood scoop again.

I would venture that most dealers would price a used SE higher than the $25,000 maximum the IRS allows for used EVs to be eligible for up to a $4,000 tax credit.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Good find: That's not a similar article, it is the Detroit Free Press article.

endquote and teslarati97 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

It's called syndicated news. The same article appears in many news outlets.

9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

"In three years, we’ve sold 8,000"

First time I have seen a specific number (even if rounded) for the US.

"Goris wasn't eager to part with his 2020 Mini Cooper SE. But he did trade it in November 2022 because he said:

• The federal tax credit was still available."
    I think Gerry might be in for a rude awakening...

SameGuy, Alf_W and Qisl like this.
  10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's why MotoringFile even links to the USA Today syndicated news via the YahooFinance tracker.