P 29

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, May 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Have you had this done?
    How has it effected your driving range?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm scheduled next Wednesday for this service, among others. I already have a call in to corporate to complain that they want to turn down my battery max charge but have no time frame for a remedy, which I find unacceptable.

I'm curious if anyone has had P29 performed: does it set your max to 80% the same way if you just did it yourself manually, meaning you can still set it to 90 or 100% if you want, or, does it actually change the software to not allow you to set it above 80% after the update? (or, even more tricky, they make 80% the new 100% so you think you can charge to 100% but really that's only 80% of the battery capacity).

4. We have this change and the other recalls scheduled for tomorrow here in Orlando at our local Hyundai dealer, I confirm this morning and they said they have 2 Tek experts that can work on our 2019 Kona Electric, so we're hoping all goes well. We had already set the limit to 80% but I think Hyundai did it over the air before we ever got to it. Last I checked I was still able to change the maximum charge but we left it at the 80%.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  5. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

P29 just done in service on mine....but when I checked within the hour on picking it up, the charge levels, AC and DC, were at 100%. I knocked them down to where they were previously (I usually use 80% unless I need the range). Note that the service was due to a car that wouldn't run so I had no choice.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  6. Paul DeLeon

100% of what? How many miles?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

It's 100% for a full charge (mileage varies with temps, driving style, etc.), and the P29 "fix" is to set that at 80% of max charge pending the performance of the battery recall yet to come.

9. Paul DeLeon

Sorry, I'm dense.
    Is the P29 fix something you can undo from the car screen? If it set your car to 80%, how is it charging to 100%?

10. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

It was part of the last series of recalls.. No change in range..

11. I got a notice in the mail that I will hear from them when the remedy is out. Oh and not to mention my brakes still lock after new software was put in. I paid 52k for this Kona ultimate EV and having all these issues is sad. Does anyone know how long by law they need to fix these issues before hitting them w the lemon law?????

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

As I understand it, the recall is supposed to set your charge maximum to 80% of the possible full charge, and Hyundai wants you to keep it there pending a further fix to the battery. Users can set the charge max, up to 100%, on the screen, but the manufacturer wants it set to 80%. Again as I understand it, users can then set it otherwise either through the car screen or bluelink. On mine, the dealer seems to not to have set mine to 80% although that's where I had it when it went in for service (other software updates were done that could have changed the charge %age to 100%).

Mattsburgh likes this.
  14. My dealer set the car to 80% for both AC and DC charging. They also took photos of the read-out on the dash-screen to document the change. They said I can still change the setting but they strongly recommended against it. Once set to 80% you will not be getting a full 100% charge...only 80%. If your car is new it's still adjusting to your driving style, typical use, etc. and the "guess-o-meter" that tells you your remaining range is working from an incomplete set of data. Give it some more time and it's going to adjust to a more accurate read-out.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  15. Thanks that's exactly what I was wondering. I'm good with 80% for now but my problem is we don't know how long until they replace the battery, so I didn't want to commit to something with an indefinite time period. It's good to know that if it lasts for months and I have to go to 100%, I still can.

16. I actually have a 170 mile round trip twice weekly commute that I'll need to start doing again soon. With a full charge I'm good even in really cold temps (10° to 20° F) but I have a problem if I have to do that at 80%. I'm counting on having a new battery before that happens some time around late Dec!

17. I plan to drive across the country later this year, and I already told them being restricted to 80% is not going to cut it for a 2,500 mile trip.

18. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

You know, it's all a question of risk (as is driving versus staying home), and there there no bright-lines with this very low incidence event of fire. Going to above 80% for a discreet, limited purpose (e.g., a long trip) may not move the risk needle much, while constantly and daily charging to 100% may be seen as a higher risk not worth running. Different people make different choices, some want to minimize risk as much as humanly possible while others see no material risk of fire at all. Individual interests in specific situations may outweigh the corporate (somewhat legal liability driven) answer to the risk.

Shark likes this.
  19. There is another risk relating to the battery after it has the BMS recall. The software checks the state of the battery as the charge level increases. If it detects a problem it bricks the car. This what happened to me two weeks after the BMS recall was done, and I had reset the AC charge level to 100%. I now have a new battery, but was without the Kona while the battery was shipped to NZ (although I was provided with a rental car albeit ICE). So there is a risk after the BMS recall, but before the battery is replaced, that the car becomes inoperable, although it will have saved itself from burning.

20. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Same thing happened with mine. Brought it in (5 days later) I got it back and it was set at 100%. I reset it to 80%.