Only 28-30 miles per charge on RAV4 prime

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by Jackie B, Dec 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jackie B

Jackie B New Member

Hi all. I purchased my RAV4 prime in August. For months I got 40-42 miles or more per charge but since November I have only been getting 28-30 miles per charge. My driving patterns (mostly around town) are exactly the same. Arguably, it’s colder now but that dramatic of a drop in miles/charge seems excessive. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My 2017 KIA Optima PHEV was the same. Ambient temperature made the biggest difference in overall range.

4. Jackie B

Jackie B New Member

Thanks for that feedback.

5. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

I have a MINI Countryman PHEV and I’m very jealous of the electric range on a Rav 4 Prime. 30-40 miles would be my sweet spot, but alas the MINI countryman is 19 miles.

6. Davelegguy

Davelegguy New Member

I’ve owned my RAV4 prime for just over a month now. This is my third Toyota hybrid( I traded in my 2019 Avalon hybrid limited for the RAV 4 SE prime, I also owned a 2011 Prius that my son now has those two hybrid vehicles have nearly 200,000 miles on them under our watch.) I am a car geek. I live in wisconsin and it is below zero Fahrenheit outside right now. That being said all of my hybrids get about a 10-20% decrease in mpg when it gets cold here. Part of that is due to the winter gas formula that they switch to at the gas stations. The other part is the overall increase in friction and resistance due to cold ambient temps. When it was 50 degrees Fahrenheit a week or two ago I had 42 miles of ev range, at current temperature I have 34. I have to use the gas engine to warm my interior below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m glad to have the option. I have averaged 165 mpg my first month in spite of the cold temp issues.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. We've had some mighty cold days where we live and our Prime's EV range took a noticeable dip, but we expected it. As it happens, before getting the Prime we'd gotten an EV. With our EV we found that cold temps (mid 20s to mid 40s) negatively impacted our range as much as climbing a moderate hill in warm weather. So yes, the temperature-related range effects can be surprisingly dramatic.