Omicron

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/omicron-variant.html

On November 24, 2021, a new variant of SARS-CoV-2, B.1.1.529, was reported to the World Health Organization (WHO). This new variant was first detected in specimens collected on November 11, 2021 in Botswana and on November 14, 2021 in South Africa.

On November 26, 2021, WHO named the B.1.1.529 Omicron and classified it as a Variant of Concern (VOC). On November 30, 2021, the United States designated Omicron as a Variant of Concern, and on December 1, 2021 the first confirmed U.S. case of Omicron was identified.
    . . .

Sounds good to me.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Doesn't sound like it is that bad. I see S. Africa cases are now coming down, with mostly very mild symptoms. And they didn't even clamp down there. I heard a John Hopkins doctor/professor say it is much more contagious, short incubation, but very mild symptoms, more like a cold. And he said that's what happens in the later stages of a pandemic, as it peters out with the new variants, to be just like another cold virus.

So that is good news. But how long before our politicians will recognize those facts and treat it as such. Heard Fauci say we will be likely be wearing masks forever. Good gawwd.... When are they going to put that guy away.

BTW, just got back from Maui, and very low covid cases there, and no Omicron so far. Restrictions are very lax there, restaurants/stores still at full capacity, and very little social distancing. Of course we spent more of our time on the beach and in the water, so extra safe that way. But all international tourists have to be fully vaccinated, and all travellers need to be tested, so that probably makes it a lot safer, too. Anyway, we (7 of us family and friends) had a great time there, and didn't really notice much diff from 2 years ago when we were there last. It truly is a wonderful place to vacation. Everyone is happy there. And we don't watch much TV (at least not news show), so very nice to get away from much of the media insanity you get back home.

4. bwilson4web

Remember that deaths are a lagging indicator:
    upload_2021-12-24_5-24-8.png
    My term is "less bad" but far from harmless. Perhaps you might personally test your claim?

Bob Wilson

DaleL likes this.
  5. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

The statistics concerning Omicron can be deceptive. It is so infectious (about 5 times that of Delta) that the fully vaccinated and people who have had previous infections with COVID are getting infected. Those cases are generally either mild or asymptomatic. This can lead to a false impression that Omicron infections are less severe (bad). However, the shear number of infections masks the outcome for the unvaccinated/previously uninfected. People with immune systems which have no previous experience with COVID-19 are at risk of serious disease and/or death. COVID.jpg

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It's a good thing you got there and back before the outbreak. The airlines are starting to cancel flights due to an excessive amount of employees calling in sick.

Well it is summer down there and the median age is in the mid to late twentys. In addition, it doesn't take much to over run the hospital system. So hopefully we will dodge the bullet.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yeah, we picked a good window to go. Got there (Maui) just after the storm, but it was sunny and nice for the next 2 weeks during our stay. Cases were also the lowest since the Aug peak, but just a couple days ago after we got back I see they are rising again, although still no Omicron in Maui (as of yesterday).

I am sure they will be hit as well, just like everywhere else. Too bad, as after last year, they were hoping for a good tourist season this winter. I feel bad for the businesses there, as a lot of restaurants and shops have closed (permanently) since we were there 2 years ago. Now looks like they are in for another bad winter. Our plane (787) was only about 20% full, both ways! The airlines obviously are suffering, too.

Back home here, cases are going up (incl Omicron), too, but thankfully not as severe with hospitalizations (short stays now) and deaths. The problem here is that we are behind with our booster shots. We have a high rate of vaccinations with double doses, but everyone had to wait their 6 months for the booster shots. We finally became eligible when we got back, and got ours yesterday. We chose Moderna as it is supposed to be more effective than Pfizer with Omicron. In hindsight, they should have been giving boosters after 4 months.

9. Bob, how can you say that? Can you not put aside your hate for at least Christmas?

10. bwilson4web

When you put away passing Russian lies and propaganda for Christmas.

Bob Wilson

11. Where do you get all this Russian lie stuff from? Does the S. African news (quoted by everyone) that Omicron is not as severe, is that a Russian Lie. Is this what CNN is telling you??

I guess you do know the dossier that triggered the Russian hoax on Trump was created by the Dems and the Hillary campaign. That is the only Russian collusion that I know about. If you deny that, then you really do not understand what is going on.

And BTW there are lots of hacks and misleading social media stuff from Russia, China, domestic, and everywhere, that promote lies on both sides. And of course both Putin and Xi want to create chaos in the US.. But only extremists fall for that stuff. And sadly seems you are one of those.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

Your postings.

Bob Wilson

14. bwilson4web

Called "cognitive dissonance," your understanding is not expected.

Bob Wilson

15. In your case, I would call it cognitive abstinence, sort of what has happened to Biden. He is not deliberately dumb, but just can't help it.

16. bwilson4web

No problem. Some are not redeemable and soon enough they get a Darwin Award.

Like many right-wing nuts, you seem to think this former Marine cares about you. As my drill instructor said when asked ‘what does it feel like to kill someone?’ He said ‘recoil.’

Neither of us has any illusions about changing each other’s mind. Rather we are providing insights to our readers on how to respond to others.

Bob Wilson

17. bwilson4web

upload_2021-12-25_7-30-57.png

upload_2021-12-25_7-32-33.png
    Omicron doubling time is 2-3 days.

Bob Wilson

18. Govts were too late in issuing booster shots. Should have been done after 4 months. We just got ours (after 6 months), so we should be good soon. And I hear they are running short of tests, too, just when you need them the most.

Merry Xmas everyone. Lots to be thankful and happy for during this holiday season, with family and friends. Hope you have a good one.

19. bwilson4web

In Alabama we have a surplus of vaccine. So a week after the boosters were approved, I got mine by walk-in.

A week into omicron, I bought a $34 home test kit sitting in the bathroom. I suspect more kits are easily available as Alabama has a lot Trumpeted followers.

Our Republican governor is as clueless as DeSantos. We are likely to see a bad outcome.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  20. bwilson4web likes this.