OK to Buy a Leftover 2020 Sitting on a Dealer Lot for More Than a Year?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Danhen, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I'm looking at leftover 2020's that have build dates going all the way back to April 2020. Any potential implications on the long term life of either of the batteries? (especially the high voltage one of course). Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

I bought my 2019 (don't have build date handy) new from dealer lot in late December 2020. The drive history showed a short drive in February 2020, and nothing else until a few in November, totaling about 70km/45mi.

No problems, Torque Pro shows 100% state of battery health at 3800mi

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Danhen likes this.
  4. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

What is "drive history"? You can see how the car has been used in the past? Is this something to do with Uvo? Was not aware of this, but sounds interesting, thanks.

5. I am in the same boat. A local dealer has plenty of 2020 Niro EV Premium in stock might be sitting with them for a year.

BTW What is the recommended Final sale price ? ( excluding Tax, Title Registration aka DMV fees and the Fed $7500 rebate ).

Also, I currently lease Nissan Leaf which ends in couple of month. With Niro EV I plan to purchase. What is recommended for Lease vs Buy ? Due to Liquid Cooling, CCS Port, 200+ miles range and Good Warranty, I am leaning towards buy than lease.

Thoughts? I am new to this forum. Any help is highly appreciated

6. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Make sure it drives ok[tires could take a set if it was not moved often]
    In a regular car one would assume the 12 volt battery would have a shorter life, but probably not so in an EV
    There might be an OBD information function that tells you if the battery has been abused.

Danhen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

In the "EV" menu screen, go to ECO Driving, then EV Economy History. If it hasn't been reset, or the system updated, it will have date, miles and mi/kWh for every drive. Mine disappeared and started new after I applied the April update.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Danhen likes this.
  9. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Thank you!

10. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Excellent point about the tires. Had not thought of that.

11. How can we find out the build date or the date when the dealer got it ?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

The build month is on the federal compliance sticker on the door jamb, at least here in the U.S. I would think in most cases arrival at the dealer was 1-2 months later. That assumes here in North America.

14. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

To be clear, I love leftover cars

At the right price

No actual worries, just details, and price

15. GLOW

GLOW New Member

I just took delivery 2 weeks ago for my premium. Build date is 11/2020. Runs great, no complaints So far and loving every part to this EV first time EV owner

16. Good Luck. Lease or Purchase ? Please share some pricing information.

17. GLOW

GLOW New Member

I leased to get the rebates. 4k down and 350 a month. 15k miles a year. Prob could have done better if I would be patient but needed a car ASAP.

18. Dups88

Dups88 New Member

We were in a similar spot, leasing a 2019 Niro EV in Sept 2020. We're coming up on a year and haven't had a single issue. It's a great car - we'll probably purchase at the end of the lease.

Danhen likes this.
  19. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

Premium Kona or Kia Niro?

20. GLOW

GLOW New Member

Kia Niro Premium

21. SteveinSD

SteveinSD New Member

We got our 2020 Niro EV EX about 6 weeks ago. I haven't checked the build date yet, but I'm fairly certain it was at least a year old. No problems experienced. Seems to me from a battery standpoint, so long as it wasn't left plugged in continuously (extremely unlikely), or left almost completely dead (more possible), it shouldn't be a problem.

We leased ours through the Costco program in San Diego. $4000 down, $124/month including tax, 10000 miles/year. Only got it because we sold our 2020 Tesla Model 3 to a dealer for $900 more than we paid 15 months and 10000 miles ago. For what we paid for the Kia, we couldn't be happier!

22. We also began our EV experience just over a month ago. We didn't bother to look at its date of assembly, and we're very happy with zero issues after 1300 miles. It feels wonderful to purr silently past the gas stations with their up-trending prices, and the high-grade oil-change depots...