Odd rate structure for Electrify America

Discussion in 'General' started by TheLight75, Jun 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I tried a new local EA station today on my Kona and was a bit surprised by their non-linear pricing:
    • 1-75 kW = $0.21/min
    • 76-125 kW = $0.58/min - 67% increase in capacity - 276% increase in price
    • 125-350 kW = $0.89/min - 180% increase in capacity - 53% increase in price
    They're really gouging the middle of the market with these rates. My Kona pulls 77 kW so they hit me with the full $0.58 rate even though I'm just barely over the limit.

I don't understand why they don't just set minimum and maximum tier prices and then between those 2 tiers, charge a matching % between the kW & $.

For example: 1 kW = $0.21/min, 350 kW = $0.89/min. In my case, 77 kW would be $0.36/min. (77 / 350 = 22%; (0.89 - .21) * 22% = 0.15 + 0.21 = 0.36

Given VW's court order to create this system, I can't imagine the Feds are OK with them gouging the majority of their BEV customers...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of their pricing structure either.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I have mentioned this in another thread. VW is getting away with nonsense as most state regulators are looking the other way. Their feet are not be held to the fire. Some will argue (as they have on this forum) that it is a private company and they can do what they want. I would disagree as this is supposed to be atonement for crimes committed. They need to do what is needed to improve the EV footprint, not their bottom line.