Odd error?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by ke4d, Jul 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ke4d

ke4d New Member

Did a 500 mile road trip the last two days. Temps were near 100 and I was driving 70 most of the way. Yesterday afternoon a notice showed up on the Driver information screen saying the Battery Protection was Active. Read the manual telling me what that meant but I still am not sure what was happening. Going to get into the shop to see if it was throwing error codes or if this is an odd happening. Anyone else ever see this pop up

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Phototrevor

Phototrevor New Member

I can’t answer your question as I don’t have my euv yet but I am curious, how was your range while crushing hwy at 70? I’m getting a 2022 euv in a week or so and it’s mainly for my hwy commute. Also overall how was your 500 mile trip? Still a comfy ride, how often did you stop? Thank you In advance to any response.

4. ke4d

ke4d New Member

We did this trip over two days. We went about 100 miles and stopped at a plaza on the FL Turnpike. Duke energy has a couple of dcfc there so we plugged in for about 20 minutes. We then went another 70 miles or so to Okeechobee Fl. There are four FPL dcfc in downtown Okeechobee so we charged to 80% there. That was between 30 and 40 minutes. We thwm drove to West Palm beach which was about 80 miles or so. Maybe 100 after visiting our son there. The mext morning we hit a local shopping center with 4 FPL dcfc and again charged to 80% that took 31 minutes from something around 30%. On to Cocoa where we attempted to charge at a dcfc that was EA. It failed after 10 minutes so we moved on to Sanford Fl arriving with about 20% in the battery. All of that was at mostly 70 mph except the 40 plus miles to Sanford as it was a two lane road with a 55 mph spped limit. As we were getting lower than we normally do, we kept to the speed limit. Its is very obvious how much the 70 mph driving costs kwh over 55. We were pulling 17-18 kw at 70 and 13-14 at 55. Sometimes less. We put about 70 miles back in the pack at Sanford as we are only 30 miles or so from home there. We probably could have made it home without the Sanford stop but we just are not comfortable enough pushing those limits yet.
    The seats in the 22 Bolt are much more comfy than earlier models. That old seat kept is from buying a 21 Bolt we found last Spring and we are glad we waited. The Bolt did great other than the battery saver issue which we dont understand at this point. I have no other diagnostic codes in the car and nothing points to an issue somI will be visiting my local dealer to see if they can pull any info on this incident. other than slow dcfc we love this vehicle but after three months of ownership, this is our first real roadtrip so its really not a big deal.
    the owners manual suggests a full charge on the pack and then letting the car sit unplugged for 8 hours or so to reset something dealing with the battery saver. We are doing that now
    It was very hot this week and the heat combined with 70 mph driving and running the ac full blast may have contributed to the battery saver issue but we really dont know if that was the issue
    We are in our 70s so stopping every couple of hours was part of our routine when we had a Volt and when we had a Silverado 2500 so adapting to a full EV has been easy

5. Battery Saver is for the 12V battery (IE you were getting low voltage) you may have something causing a vampire drain when the vehicle is off, or you were using accessory mode to much. Do you have anything plugged into the OBD2 port?

The 12V could also be weak for sitting for a long time before the car was purchased.

6. ke4d

ke4d New Member

I have a radio plugged into the cigarette lighter but the draw is minimal. Nothing in the OBD II plug at this point. It certainly could be a weak battery. The car was built a year ago and I purchased it in May of this year.

Nebula likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ke4d

ke4d New Member

Took the car in to our local dealer about a month ago. They could find no reason for the battery saver notice. We did a 200 mile roundtrip this weekend and the notice popped up at a bit over 100 miles each way while traveling at highway speeds. I think my next call is to the concierge

9. Just replace the battery... some Dealerships just forget to test or don't know how to test the AGM batteries.

Also I don't know but some 12V lighter plugs will remain live even when the vehicle is off soo unplug your radio.