Odd charging behavior

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MNSteve, Aug 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I've had the car for eight months and charged it many times, and this is the first I've observed this behavior. I normally have a timer set at 0200 and see a normal charge of up to two hours based on how much energy the battery needs, but I've overridden the timer and never had an issue.

Today I returned from a trip with 0 EV and decided I would override the timer in case I needed to go back out today. According to the JuiceNet stats, charging started at 1:24 PM and ran for 1 hour and 14 minutes, then stopped at 8.9 kWh. (I usually see about 14 from a fully discharged battery.) The graph shows a sharp 7-to-0 Amp cutoff at the end. The car is reporting that it has a 70% charge.

Anyone else observe this? I hope it's a one-time power surge or something like that.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Interestingly (hopefully coincidentally) I had a similar incident on Friday 8/9.
    I also have a JuiceBox which has been trouble free (9 months of ownership).
    I have never used timer-based charging mode.

In this instance, I returned home with maybe 10% EV.
    I plugged in to manually initiate a charge at 14:53. I happened to look at the JuiceBox status maybe 15 minutes later, an it had terminated charging after only supplying 0.9 kWh (an 8 minute session). I couldn't think of any reason for this, so I left the plug in and commanded the vehicle to charge via HondaLink. That initiated another charge session that seemed to terminate normally after adding another 11.3 kWh.

Here is what this looked like:
    upload_2019-8-12_22-5-4.png
    A mini-session followed by the 2nd commanded one for a total of 12.2 kWh.
    In any event, I have charged once since this event and all was normal. Not willing to panic yet... As you say, could be a one-time glitch or whatever.

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

How odd that two of us would have this experience at the same time after months of trouble-free charging.

I did nothing after seeing the aborted charge, and the timer-initiated charge at 0200 was normal and brought the charge up to 100% and added 13.9 kWh for both segments, which is exactly the same as the previous charge.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I'm going to pretend it didn't happen !! Maybe it was a bad dream.

Let me just mention that JuiceBox does push updates from time to time.
    On the My Devices Details, at the top, mine says this: pro 32, v8.17.08
    I assume this is the revision of the firmware in the unit (rather than the web interface).
    I don't use their App, just the web from a PC. I have not been watching this, but maybe it would be wise to monitor.

I don't know how often updates occur, but as a point of reference, I had a correspondence with JuiceBox on July 23. At that time, she told me that my last update was June 13th.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019