OBD2 scanner for EV recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jgood, Mar 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm considering purchasing an OBD2 scanner now that I'm aware my Kona is on the battery recall list. At least it is according to my manufacturer date. I didn't really see the need previously, but now I'm a bit more uncomfortable parking my car inside our attached garage. I'd like to watch my battery health a lot more closely since i suspect it's going to be a while before Hyundai is ready to replace my battery.

Can I get some recommendations for OBD2 readers and the Apps people are using on IOS?

Thanks for the feedback!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Outside of the dealer level Hyundai GDS programmer I am not aware of any OBD2 scanner that plays nice with the Kona EV. I have a pretty decent Autel 629 maxilink scanner that is able access most modules on any modern ICE vehicle, the best it can do with the Kona is pick up two undescribed modules, it can't even identify the VIN which is a pretty basic interface function. Its possible the $2000 bidirectional Autel's models may be able to get more dealer level info, I dunno, i will probably upgrade in the near future and let folks know . I would really like a scanner that can initiate the parking brake service mode and initiate the water pumps. Update: just had a look at Autel's site and their MK908 scanner can indeed initiate the EV's parking brake service mode and water pumps plus much more, very interesting.

If your just asking about just a OBD2 bluetooth interface to use with app like torque pro, ev watchdog, or soul EV spy I would look at the recommendations of the individual app developers, most of the ones on Amazon, Evilbay are reasonable and cheap, some play nice some don't.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  4. I am using this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO

I am using Android, though. I believe there is an iOS version too. Watch out for that.

I also bought a Y-cable with a switch so I can turn it off when not in use without having to unplug it. Just to be sure it didn't drain the 12V battery.

But both together we're less than $30.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I got one of those, works on all my vehs too.

Esprit1st likes this.
  6. I just installed EV Watchdog using the OBDLINK LX reader.
    Excellent combination for maintaining watch of the complete EV system...

jcwareham likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

R P likes this.
  9. And it is important to note that SoulEVspy only works with that device.

10. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Any bluetooth OBD known to work both in Android and iOS?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Tren

Tren New Member

Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app works both with Android and iOS. Just select KONA, NIRO, IONIQ etc. profile in settings.

You might also consider iCar Vgate PRO (turns off automatically after 30 minutes) or Viecar Bluetooth 4.0.

13. I have the iCar Vgate PRO and it works great. I leave it attached and it does not drain the auxiliary battery.

14. I have the same and a couple of the others. I did some tests and the iCar Vgate Pro goes to sleep, after 30 minutes if I recall, drain is then 0.6 mA. The common blue translucent type did not sleep at all and the Konnwei (for SoulEVspy) with the manual switch gives a similar result when off.

15. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

This is another option :
    https://evobd2.com/
    The Bluetooth dongle also works with Torque Pro

16. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

I have just ordered one of these. Been using BlueDriver on ice cars for years, and was surprised to find they are not supporting full-electrics. I assume the OBD2 protocol was built up around the far-more-complicated needs of ice cars.

Quote from BlueDriver (Lemur Vehicle Monitors):

"Hello Bernie!
    Sadly fully EV vehicle do not support the use of the OBDII diagnostics system that BlueDriver would require to communicate with your vehicle. This would be the case with all full EV's on the market right now."

17. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

I should note that BlueDriver has NO connection with BlueLink, or all the other Blues out there!

18. Stéphane Vallée

Stéphane Vallée New Member

Hello any one try this[​IMG] E6F3B795-2380-46DC-A170-81C90C92A40A.png E6F3B795-2380-46DC-A170-81C90C92A40A.png E6F3B795-2380-46DC-A170-81C90C92A40A.png

[​IMG]

19. Yup. Had it running for a year+. Current version also shows Battery Min-Max and difference of cell. Doesn't give cell#, just the min/max and diff. I check mine once in a while and am happy to see 0.00 for Diff. Usually mine sits on percent charge and temps.

20. Hey All - I’m getting my battery replaced this week and I picked up an OBD2 dongle from local parts supply store (LORDCO - B.C.) just as a benchmark / to see what 44,000 km has done to the battery since purchased new in 2019. I’m having a hell of a time finding an iOS app that will play nice with it. Any suggestions as to which one might work? Pic of scanner below. Cheers![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. I found and use the app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2 for iOS" version 1.86.4 that works connecting by WiFi with an OBD2 iCar dongle by Vgate. It reads the voltage of the 98 cell groups, and shows max cell voltage, max deterioration cell number etc. which I think is what you are looking for.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  22. Thanks! Yeah, I can’t find an iOS app that works with this OBD2 reader I purchased might have to go back to drawing board. I’ll look into your recommendation if I can’t get this figured out. Short term I’m just wanting some data from the battery they’re swapping out this week and moving forward just wanna be better engaged with more robust data.

electriceddy likes this.