No Response to Rivian Emails

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Titonka, Jun 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Titonka

Titonka New Member

We reserved an R1S after we went to see it at the NYC show. Tape measure in hand, we checked it’s interior space and volume for our needs. We also spoke at length to them about our other requirements and the SUV’s capabilities. It’s a great vehicle. We do have additional questions about this BEV and I’ve written 2 emails to Rivian regarding service in Minnesota, information they can provide our insurance people and tires. Other than responding they received my emails, nothing. These are not tough or unreasonable questions, or issues they wouldn’t have already considered.

As a counterpoint to the month since I emailed Rivian, Tesla and Mercedes can’t get back to me fast enough when I ask them questions.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just out of curiosity what questions did you have?

Wondering if we share any of those

I'd like to hear about some of your concerns in regards to the R1S.

4. Titonka

Titonka New Member

Yes, I asked them how they would service the R1S in Minnesota since there has been no mention (that I’ve heard) of how they will do this. I wanted to know what kind of information is available for our insurance agent. Plus, I asked about tires. When we saw the vehicles in NYC they appeared to be outfitted for rough terrain. That’s important to us. However, we will be towing trailers down the highway and driving through lots of snow. What are they thinking for tire options. We usually have two sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter. Lastly, I asked about extreme cold and it’s effect on performance. We snowmobile in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, some of the coldest spots in the country. I’m assuming those prolonged subzero temps will affect the SUV batteries.

5. IMSprout2

IMSprout2 New Member

I have also written them 2 times and received no response, if anybody hears of a way to get in touch with them, please say so.

6. All good questions, and actually things I asked in NYC also, which couldn't be answered at that time. Or at least answered in full.

Have you owed an electric vehicle before? I went from owning a hybrid to a Tesla Model S and did learn a lot about EV's the hard way (on the fly), but truthfully even going in kinda naive to it all I didn't regret my purchase, service, insurance and distance aside.

I'm curious as to Rivian's partnership details with Ford, and if they will benefit along the lines of servicing vehicles. I've heard that Rivian was looking to Ford (first GM) for supply chain and purchasing of established automotive parts. If this is true then its refreshing to know that Rivian parts will be industry familiar and I'd hope serviceable... maybe even by Ford?

As for insurance, what particular information were you looking for?

As for tires I was told (not confirmed) that there of course would be wheel options and Even Brian Gase mentioned some lighting packages geared towards out door activities. Me kinda inferring that they're gonna have wheel options and packaging for their vehicles I would assume wheels, lights, towing, etc. would be accordingly changeable to suit your driving needs.

As for cold weather and batteries... Cold does drop battery range (I feel that's industry standard) and to what degree I am curious too, but could tell you (having been in both Iowa and Minnesota during the cold winters my Model S range dropped roughly 20%.

Hope you hear back from Rivian and in the future if you get any answers please share.

I'll definitely do the same.

Take care

1 person likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

The SUV is a couple of years out, and in my experience, insurance companies cannot generate a quote on a vehicle not in production (I assume that is what you are looking for).

Rivian is still looking to sign agreements with service partners, but nothing has been finalized (and nothing is likely to be revealed until the contracts are signed). The good (and bad) news is the R1T will be out for a year or more prior to the R1S, so they will have the service situation announced well before you can order the SUV.

Cold will indeed drop range - how much depends on many variables so there is no xx% answer possible. Under some usage patterns, it could be as much as 40%. More likely is the 20% as mentioned above. We are assuming by "performance" you mean range - if you are talking about acceleration/speed/etc, there will be little to no impact with temperature.

You'll very likely be able to get these types of questions answered before you actually order, but 2 years ahead of actual shipments is too soon to expect binding answers.

1 person likes this.
  9. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Curious to know the source of this information. Initially Rivian stated the R1T would be produced first in late 2020 with the R1S to follow (no mention of any specific time line, let alone a year later). Though for a quite a while now I've been hearing that both EAVs will be produced at the same time with higher priced packages produced first - e.g. the 180 and 135 kWh batter packs - similar to what Tesla did.

Update: Just remembered where I read the timing of when each EV will launch - in my confirmation email after submitting my pre-order. In that email it stated -

"Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021. "
    Since the above does not make any distinction between each EAV, I'm assuming it applies to both the R1T and the R1S.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  10. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

I would certainly hope so. Lord knows I have a long list of questions (a check list if you will) that need answering before I convert my pre-order to an actual, configured order. I suspect in the next few months Rivian will be releasing much more information about both EAVs, including warranty info, since RJ and other Rivian reps have said in recent interviews and at events that pre-order holders will be able to configure their vehicle later this year.

11. Again... Just shooting from the hip

Hyundai Kona 5yr/60,000 miles 10yr/100,000 miles drive unit

Tesla Model 3 4yr/50,000 miles 8yr/100,000 miles drive unit

Chevy Bolt 3yr/36,000 miles 5yr/60,000 miles

***Rivian R1T 4yr/50,000 miles 8yr/100,000 miles???***

And with a Ford partnership agreement I would hope I could bring my R1T to select ford and or Lincoln dealerships for basic maintenance issues.

But who knows, and if RJ is thinking of a "white glove" service program where Rivian takes your car from you and gives you another car should something come up I'd be totally fine with that.

Let's just see what comes down the pipe till then.

I am excited with upcoming prospects of the online configurator and either a black interior option with carbon fiber trim, or maybe a gloss black ash wood trim option with the light interior. I'd truthfully like a piano black lacquer trim option more then the ash wood, but would be happy with either. Despite the fingerprints I did love the black lacquer trim on my Model S and currently love it on my Range Rover.

Still very excited none the less.

12. To remove this ad click here.