No more lifetime EV battery warranty for 2020 Kona Electric??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yup, I read this a while ago. The US warranty still exceeds that available in other countries.

4. In the US press release they highlight the battery heater as a new thing. I can't find the 2019 Cdn specs anymore, but thought we already had that. I know we have the Heat Pump, but not 100% sure about the battery heater. Can someone confirm that, or not?

Wildeyed likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

Lucky for me and everyone else who bought the 2019 US Kona Electric..

Esprit1st and Joev like this.
  6. Yes, we have it. Canada got nearly everything. Our Ultimate specs and price is one of the best anywhere.

Francois likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Only things missing - VESS silence button and folding mirrors both of which should have been available as at least an option. (we have LTE instead of WIFI)

9. Actually the new Canadian Kona Electric Essential trim omits heat pump and battery heater.

10. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Hmm..that’s kind of a big deal. I was waiting for the U.S 2020 Kona electric mainly for the battery warmer and winter mode...now this makes me think I should go for the 2019 version ( which doesn’t have either of those)with lifetime warranty on the battery.

11. I have never read the fine print but you might find that it makes little difference particularly if you swap cars out every few years.

Jim Matthews likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

To be honest I was actually looking to purchase it out right so that’s why I worry you know?

14. FloridaSun

I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car. I was planning on keeping mine in my name for a long time.. Planning on giving it to my daughter when she turns 16 in 9 years. By that time, the car may have 300k miles and potentially time for a new battery..
    If you only want to keep for under 150k miles, I don't think that there is a lot of reason to worry.. Looking at the Chevy Bolt which used LG batteries, I'm not aware of any major issues except for a few batteries on early Bolts with battery degradation or defects. Our batteries should last well above 150k miles before they fall to sub 70%.. Actually, without too much fast charging and depleting the battery frequently, they should last at least 300k to 500k miles before they degrade too much..

15. FloridaSun

I doubt that this will happen. In the US, starting in 2020, VESS is mandatory on all electric vehicles and therefore, they won't allow you to turn it off. I'm not sure about Canada but Canadian cars are usually built to fairly similar specs than the US cars and so it won't likely happen in Canada either.

16. Francois

Francois Active Member

I believe VESS became mandatory in Canada on July 2018.

17. So why don't Teslas have VESS? My son's M3 does not.

18. FloridaSun

I believe that 2020 Tesla Models have it..

19. But if Canada required it in 2018, my son's M3 should already have it then.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  21. I do not believe the changes to regulation in the Canadian Motor vehicles safety act have occurred yet as per Transport Canada website:https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/road-safety-initiatives-planned.html

"Transport Canada sought input from interested Canadians on the proposed regulations(quiet vehicles regulation) through a public consultation period held in early 2018 through the Let's Talk Transportation platform. It is anticipated that there will be a formal consultation process of 75-days following pre-publication in the Canada Gazette, Part I, expected to take place in early 2020."

Any VESS implementation up to this point has been purely manufacture voluntary. Its not a legal requirement. Owners of 2019 model Kona could unplug their VESS legally as any future regulation changes would not be retroactive.

22. Francois

Francois Active Member

It's my bad. What began in July 2018 was people of Quebec getting fines for parking in front of a charging station and not charging. My apologies for the confusion.

electriceddy likes this.
  23. 556x24

556x24 New Member

After six months I could not longer tolerate the VESS so I prepared to dismantle the nose section to get at it. I discovered after removing the screws across the top (under the hood) that I could warp/lever what appears to be a black trim strip "out" enough to visualize the VESS plug which I had tried to reach several times before. Now that I could see it, using a pair of long, needle-nose pliers I was able to reach the plug in the correct orientation to depress the release tab and pull it. The result: Instant silence! Now the car is whisper quiet without that annoying space-ship sound. The ding-ding backup sound is also disabled. I don't miss either. Granted, people can't hear the car coming up behind them in a parking area, but then, even with VESS on nobody ever acted like they heard it, and nobody ever got out of the way for it.
    Before anyone start about voiding warranties - maybe where you are, but not here. They can't void the battery warranty or get out of correcting a seal issue because a single plug has been removed.
    I have considered buying an inexpensive RFID switch with remote (like remote door locks use), and wire it into the VESS cable so I can turn VESS on or off using a remote for when the car needs to go in for service, but the car seldom needs to go in for service. I can always plug VESS back in when I need too.
    A much simpler approach would be to excise the middle section of the ABS trim strip which would allow complete access to the VESS box from above, then fabricate a ledge and clip system to the piece can be reattached and removed as desired.