Nissan gets black eye in Canada

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Paul K, Oct 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

It is well known that a number of the early Leafs experienced early battery degradation. Our public broadcaster the CBC has a special segment "Go Public" where people feeling mistreated by a government or business can air their concerns. Here is a link to a story from a 2013 Leaf owner whose battery is getting weak.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-new-battery-1.5769998

I have often said that Nissan's treatment of the early adopters was shabby. Let me add stoooooopid to that. What in the hell are the higher ups at Nissan thinking? People paid almost twice as much for their EV as a comparable ICE car only to be told the solution to their battery woes is to "buy a new Nissan". Way to squander the early lead and goodwill you might have had being the first to mass market an "affordable" EV.

I hope that Nissan is really feeling the egg on their face with this one. I really like my 2018 Leaf S. It's so comfortable and trouble free and is a pleasure to drive. I plan on trading next year while the battery pack is still strong and get something with at least a 60kwh pack. The lack of a TMS in the Leaf+ would not be a deterrent as I've had no problems at all with overheating with mine, but I would like to deal with a company with a better understanding of customer relations and good will.

Aaaaannnnnnddd while I'm on my rant: While people will buy EVs for a number of reasons, being green and making a smaller footprint is often a factor. Things that don't last or are too difficult, expensive or impossible to repair as they age are not green. FULL STOP!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

Yes, I agree with your points. Nissan's response is puzzling. What is equally puzzling is the guy's lack of curiosity to find a solution elsewhere. For example: https://nissanleafbatteryreplacement.com/ is among other sites which have been featured in Inside EVs. My very first Leaf was a 2015 S and one of my family members were in an accident with it 6 months after I bought it. ICBC wrote it off and I have always wondered what happened with its "lightly used" 24kwh battery. I, too, am very happy with my 2018 Leaf and am thinking about buying an Ariya once there's been sufficient user feedback on them. Apart from its odd public relations, Nissan does build good cars.