Niro EV vs EV6

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by JasonG, Apr 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JasonG

JasonG Member

Hi,

I saw the new Kia EV6 on the road yesterday... To be honest, I don't really like the design and would probably never upgrade to that from my 2019 Niro EV. Seemed rather unattractive to my eyes from all sides I could see in person. I think the Hyundai Ioniq 5 looks better (seen a few on the road) than the EV6 but highway mileage at 70 mph doesn't seem much better than my Niro EV.

I managed to grab a pic of the back. What do you think?

Attached Files:

• EV6.jpg
      EV6.jpg
      File size:
      99.9 KB
      Views:
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I hate the rear end of the EV6. I bought the Ioniq 5. As an 80s computer geek, it just hit all the right buttons for me.

The funny thing, other than the back which I hate, the EV 6 looks kind of bland ... But other than that really good "internals" (same as Ioniq 5)

LegoZ and R P like this.
  4. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

The Ioniq 5 has grown more to my liking and the fact that it seems more spacious inside as well. I haven't seen a EV6 in person yet, so I'm not sure whether I will like it more or not.

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk

5. Oh BTW 8 personally like the open middle design of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 way better than the cockpit we squeeze you in design of the Kia EV 6.

6. Parker Lewis

Parker Lewis New Member

Agreed, EV6 has all the right specs on paper but the styling just doesn't do it for me; I think the pre-2023 Niro EV is much better looking than the EV6 is.

My Niro EV has made me a big fan of Kia but if I had to choose between the current models based on styling alone I would definitely take the Ioniq 5 over the EV6.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JasonG

JasonG Member

Yep, agree totally on that one! Would get an Ioniq 5 if I was buying now but totally happy with my 2019 Niro EV EX Premium.

Esprit1st and Lektrons like this.
  9. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Member

I just want to point out that the Niro EV and Kona Electric have more highway range than the Ioniq 5 and EV6 by about 20-30 miles.

The EPA ratings are horribly inaccurate. If you need AWD and faster charging then the IQ5 and EV6 are a better choice. But not for outright range.

10. JasonG

JasonG Member

Yes, that's what I've been seeing too although I haven't seen too many tests of the RWD IQ5. The main advantages for me for the IQ5 RWD compared to the Niro might be possibly more range but also twice the charging rate. However, having done a few 480 mile trips with my Niro, the fast charging is not a major burden for me. Two stops for ~45 minutes which goes quickly. Actually, I like that it makes you rest thus making for the trip being less taxing overall IMHO.

Lektrons and Esprit1st like this.
  11. JasonG

JasonG Member

Just saw the specs for the new 2023 Niro EV. Not very impressive changes with ~253 miles range (+14 miles) and 85 kW fast charging (+10 kW). You'd think they would go up to at least 130-150kW charging... and close to 300 mile range. But maybe they don't want to compete with the EV6? I think I'll be sticking with my 2019 Niro EV for a long time!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. More specs revealed @ NY auto show:
    Longer (including wheelbase), more cargo capacity, higher ground clearance
    Niro EV Model Year 2022 2023
    Length 172.2 in 174 in
    Wheelbase 106.3 in 107.1 in
    Cargo Capacity (Rear Seats Up) 18.5 ft³ 22.8 ft³
    Ground Clearance 6.1 in 6.3 in

And now for the big one:
    "In addition to a whole mess of ADAS functions coming standard, the 2023 Kia Niro EV is available with the same vehicle-to-load (V2L) capabilities as its sibling, the EV6. Whether you’re powering your mobile office, a mini fridge, or charging another EV, the V2L generator is a game changer – as long as you have more than a 10% charge."
    :)
    Source:
    https://electrek.co/2022/04/13/kia-showcases-2023-niro-ev-at-ny-auto-show-with-a-complete-redesign-v2l-capabilities-and-added-range/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  14. As a Niro EV driver for two years I can honestly say the build quality isn't great. If the EV6/Ioniq5 are more solidly made, the price difference maybe worthwhile.

Mine has begun to rattle and squeak around the windows.

15. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Member

I own a Niro EV and test drove a friends AWD EV6 (Wind) and 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR.

The EV6 feels much more heavy, smooth, and numb. It feels like it wants to sit on the interstate on autopilot at 70. If you put your foot into it in sport mode it moves good but not a lot more than the niro. It's not nearly as efficient and has less range than the Niro. The charge rate is insane (Easily twice as fast). The trunk is nice and long with plenty of length for camping.

In contrast, the Niro feels light and playful and feels like it wants to be tossed around the corners.

Then I got to drive a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. HOLY COW. I was blown away. That thing makes my Niro look like a bird scooter. Everything is so refined and dialed in. The steering feels precise and smooth with a satisfying heaviness. And when you step on it... Instant warp speed. It's not even a comparison. The Niro is exciting and fun but the Tesla is a whole other level. I was shaking for 20 minutes from the adrenaline. It's also smaller than the EV6 and much more efficient. I didn't feel like it had enough ground clearance.

I still think the Niro is a better car for me with better camping, ground clearance, and towing capacity, but if I needed AWD I think I'd go used model 3 for $46k.

16. Helped a friend buy an EV-6 AWD and drove it back to his home in northern Vermont on a route that I drive often. Inspite of the car being bigger, it got a similar mile/Kwh number, maybe a little less. I like the Niro seats better for my body, but I have been driving the Niro for three years. EV-6 Finish and noise level are better. the car is much quicker, but the Niro is fine. Tech is better. Sound is really good. Lights are ok, but Kia could use some improvement. Vermont is a rural state with deer wandering out on the roads at night. it looks great and people see how good it looks. that never happened with the Niro

But it was almost $ 13,000 more than the Niro. What we need is more inventory and less expensive models. It will be interesting to see the difference between the EV-6 RWD with the 58 Kwh battery and the Niro

LegoZ likes this.
  17. Recently I drove my 22 Kia Niro EV from Vermont to the New Haven, CT area following a friend in his EV-6 Wind AWD. We drove interstate 91 at highway speed, which got faster as we got nearer to Hartford. More traffic, higher speeds. Anyway the last 30 miles where on secondary roads, so 35 to 45 MPH. Total trip was 144 miles. The EV-6 got 3.4 miles/kWh and the Niro got 3.7/kWh. So that is just about 9% less efficient for more weight, bigger battery and AWD. I wonder what the different would be in a EV-6 with the smaller battery and RWD. Temperature was in the 40's and 50's with some rain

rcnesneg and BarryP like this.