New tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by petteyg359, May 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Had to get new tires on my 2018 at 31517 miles. The original ones were down to 5 (one at nearly 4) and I didn't want to take a 2000-mile round trip on them. Replaced with Yokohama YK740 and already liking the improved traction even though they've only been on 2 days now. Ride seems quieter too, but I don't know if that's a long-term thing or just a brand new tires thing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are you able to evaluate whether these tires have increased or decreased your range?

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Again only two days of having them so far, but no change on the estimated range.

insightman likes this.
  5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I assume this means 5 or 4 /32s?

6. d99

d99 Member

The biggest chunk of maintenance costs on my 2018 Clarity have been the Michelin tires. Two wore out at 32K miles and the other two were damaged by nails. Yes, service costs for fluids, maintenance etc are low, but have been more than offset by tires.

Previous vehicles with Michelins have run for 50 to 60K miles before tires needed to be replaced.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Mine were looking kinda bad at 30K miles. Wife got kind of mad at me for buying new tires (Michelin cross climate 2 I believe). She just thought it was too soon to replace them.
    The new tires look and work well. The traction is much improved. My estimate EV range took at hit, and I'm not sure how much but I suspect it was about 3 miles of range from memory. So the old low-roll resistant tires that came with the car despite less good traction did appear to be good for estimated (and likely actual) range.

9. d99

d99 Member

I was not happy replacing the original Michelin tires at 32K miles. With minimal effort on my part, the tire deal called Michelin who quickly offered a 30% discount on new tires, the same as came with the car. Michelin customer service was excellent. I suspect they know they have a problem with these tires.

turtleturtle likes this.
  10. David Towle

My OEM tires are still fine at 61k miles. Average about 5/32 tread depth remaining. Maybe I'll get 80k out of them.

11. d99

d99 Member

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I wish users would caveat unusually high numbers based on driving conditions. These high numbers leave me with a negative feeling, like why can't I achieve them? What am I doing wrong? Is something wrong with my driving?

Quoting David Towle from a previous post: I drive conservatively, coast when possible, am in Florida where roads are straight and flat, and most driving is stop and go maximum around 50 mph. And I rarely use HVAC just the fan.

Looks like David Towle gets great mileage (if I recall it's EV of 60-70 miles) and excellent tire life based on his "special" driving style and perhaps favorable driving route. Congratulations to him! The average American driver, like Dan and me have zero hope of achieving these numbers. And I live in California with an easy climate!

Feeling good!!! .... My tires were not up to "normal" Michelin standards I have been accustomed to over the past thirty years.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

No that's not correct for the tires, actually the first 40,000 or so miles were in Connecticut where I was driving windy roads and on the interstates at 70-80 mph much more often than I am now. I keep the tires around 38 psi. I wonder if some of the wear variations are due to concrete versus asphalt, or maybe the hardness of the aggregate used in either the concrete or asphalt?

14. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

At 25K miles (2018 base model), the tires are 5.5 - 6.0/32. It's my wife's car, and she drives it gently (unlike me). I'm curious to see how long our tires will last -- seems like the data on tread longevity has a broad range on this forum. I'm in Northern California (Chico) with very hot summers (typically a dozen or more 100+ days).