New tires? Alignment off inside rear and front driver side...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by EVBirder, May 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EVBirder

EVBirder New Member

Hi folks,
    Have had ongoing slow leak in right (passenger) front tire and had it repaired at a local chain tire shop (Les Schwab or LS) where I was told there is an alignment issue and wear on inside of driver rear and front tires. ~23,000 on this model year 2020 Limited. Dealer recently told me tires were fine, though. I am in Oregon so deal with rain and mostly pavement driving (occas. gravel roads for birding).
    Considering:
    1. Get someone other than LS to look at tires (I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for) to assess accuracy of LS's claim;
    2. Take to dealer and get their input (my dealer's service has been okay, although I've told them about some things they didn't know); they rotated tires about 1000 miles ago and said were okay;
    3. If accurate, get new tires: options are LS's unknown-name brands Dean, Mastercraft and unknown? at 3 price points; vs local Costco's Michelin CrossClimate2, or Michelin Primacy Tour AS; or other less well-known tire shop.

Group opinions welcome!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EVBirder

EVBirder New Member

Thanks… I need to call them to check to see if the new coolant is in to replace what I have… also dealing with “Refill Inverter Coolant” issue!

4. EVBirder

EVBirder New Member

Thanks RP, for the thread to view. It sounds as if these EVs, at least the Kona, with their added battery weight may go out of alignment sooner than ICE cars due to the weight. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to get it in for an alignment, since I"m being told the tires are unevenly worn, and they did not thus advise me two months ago when I had it in for its subsequent checkup.

And, if I need new tires, am interested in hearing what others, especially here in the Pacific Northwest, are finding gives them good mileage yet handle well in rain!