New tire mileage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by petteyg359, Jun 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

To people who already bought new tires, at what mileage did you replace them? I had my Clarity at the dealer recently to get an inspection, and they noted my rear tire tread on both sides is < 4/32. Fronts are still >= 6/32. I confirmed myself when I got it home. The car just recently broke 22k miles, and that seems ridiculously low for *any* tires, and especially odd for the back tires to wear so much quicker than the front.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I have over 40k and think I'm still above 5/32 all around. It has been discussed here that some road surfaces are more "coarse" than others...

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I changed out two of mine at 19k. They were nearly worn down to the wear bars but had worn evenly. The other two were still in pretty good shape (about 7/32). Seemed odd since the dealer was "supposed" to be rotating them. I bought some nearly new "take-offs" for about $70 each to lessen the shock of buying them that early. Went back with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S just for the mpg/efficiency.

5. Mine went about 42,000 miles and had a few miles left when changed out.

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

My remaining tread at 22K miles:
    6/32 front, 6.5/32 rear

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 228ra

228ra Member

I’m at 27K miles an am going to have to change them out before winter arrives.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One of the seldom-mentioned advantages of winter tires is that they prolong the life of the non-winter tires.

JFon101231 likes this.
  10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Tire wear is measured by the remaining tread depth (usually in 32nds of an inch, where 3/32 is the 'limit').
    Does anyone know what the starting tread depth is? Does it vary by type, or is it sort of standardized?

11. 10-12 32nd when new in my experience.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TomL

TomL Active Member

I replaced mine last November at 32,000 miles I think but they still were legal (4/32?) but wearing fast as had the OEM tires on my previous Honda Civics and Accord Hybrids. They were so poor in winter conditions I felt I had to get rid of them. I had trouble getting up a short driveway elevation when there was snow or ice.

14. Hoon

Hoon Member

Without any tire rotation I checked mine at 13183 miles.
    FL 5 FR 5
    RL 8 RR 8

I recently rotated the tires (front to back). I'm thinking I can probably make it to little over 20k miles from what others are saying and looking at my current wear levels. 25k might be a stretch... I think it's the combination of heavy weight + high torque making it very easy to slip on starting, and also using a lot of regen brakes.

I want to change to Michelin CrossClimate 2 as I read good things about them. I'm in Beaverton, Oregon by the way.

15. Valente

Valente Active Member

I replaced all 4 tires at 56,500 mi mostly freeway driving. Replaced with Costco Michelin All Season tires - $826. Happy so far.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Just recently replaced my tires at around 50,000 miles. They could have probably gone another 6 to 10 thousand miles more but had a nail in one and sidewalk curb cut in another, so got new tires. Went with the Michelin Cross Climate 2s. They are a little noisy but great tire overall. After 500 miles on them, they seem to ride better and have quieted down a bit.
    Cheers

17. Hoon

Hoon Member

Are the Cross Climate 2 really much louder than the OEM? I was hoping it'd be quieter but with less MPG. I don't mind the MPG hit but noise level would be a bummer.

18. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Without a doubt the Michelin Cross Climate 2 are louder on the road than the OEM Michelins. I can say this with certainty. However, I would buy them again in a heart beat in terms of traction I've experienced in the rain and their expected snow handling ability. To note, one's person noise level may be agreeable or not agreeable to another person's. I stand by recommending these tires for sure.

19. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Do you remember the name of the tires? I live in Coachella valley so I’m interested in something that would be good in the desert.

20. I got what I thought was a great deal on these last fall:

[​IMG]

About 10,000 miles so far. No noticeable difference in road grip or noise from the stock tires, at least the way we drive. Seem to be wearing OK. Have taken a small hit to EV range, maybe 4 to 5 miles, but some of this may be normal battery degradation after almost 3 years and 52,000 miles.

21. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I actually found my CC2+ to be quieter than the OEM tires they replaced. My wife noticed that too. I also found the ride to be less harsh even though they have a lot more grip. Surprisingly, I haven't noticed any loss in range now that it's warmer. I do the same 13 mile loop a couple of times a day and that typically used up 16% of the battery per loop last summer with the OEM. With the CC+, it's using the same 16%. There does seem to be a bit of penalty at highway speeds though.

22. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

As noted noise is subjective, but even beyond that, it often changes over time. Near end of life OEM vs brand new anything isn't going to be apples to apples.

23. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

That's very true. I remember how disappointed I was with the Clarity when new because the tire noise was so loud over some surfaces. That got better over time though.