New Software and Full Self Driving

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jan 20, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Semantics, I wish "Autopilot" had been called "Copilot" because it assists the driver. A former private pilot, I understand why autopilot is appropriate because the original intended Level 4-5 objective remains for robotaxi. But Elon is attracted only to the hardest problems that challenge him and his team.

This morning, I updated to software 2022.44.30.10 and the latest Full Self Driving (FSD.) After a short day of testing, both are much improved:
    • Side camera operation- that turns on the camera on the turn signal side. Unlike the side mirrors, the cameras have a wider field of view than the mirrors which is especially useful when turn-merging into a fast traffic lane. Not being so flexible and the "B" pillar blocking the driver side, rear view to traffic. When backing up or with rear view enabled, the rear and two side cameras provide an unobstructed, unmatched view.
    • Single lane and right intersection turns - much more confident and trustable. But if taking a turn at an intersection, doing the turn manually is less 'exciting.' My earlier strikes (i.e., disengagements) occurred while turning at intersections.
    • Lane bias for wider vehicles - when passing large trucks in adjacent lanes, the car smoothly snuggles to the far side its lane. This is a lot less exciting.
    • Sensitive to steering cheat devices - it easily detects simple weights and warns. So I'm already designing a spring mounted weight that should fool the car ... engineering challenge games.
    • Integrated navigation - the car will prompt for lane changes and adjust speed for exits and merging in traffic.
    Also, some functions like Supercharger invoices are in the Tesla App instead of the web page. I haven't found the cabin camera view yet but will check YouTubes later. But I am faced with a 'Sophies Choice.'

If I trade-up my 2019 Model 3, I will lose Full Self Driving that now costs $15,000. It can not be moved to a new Tesla I might buy. But my 100% SOC range is down to 215 mi from the original 240 miles. It may be cheaper to swap the battery someday and keep FSD than swap the car and have to pay $15,000 for FSD again.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Still waiting for version 11, two months and counting. Oh where, oh where can it be.