New Kona SEL EV - punctured tire and sensor issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CMi, Sep 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CMi

CMi New Member

Just bought a 2020 Kona SEL 3 weeks ago. Last week I discovered a slow leak and mechanic found a puncture in the tire sidewall. They put a spare on so I could get home and ordered a new tire for. The car has about 600 miles on it total so ordered one replacement even though Hyundai recommends replacing two at a time. Keep in mind I don't know a lot about EVs as my last car was a '98 Honda! On my drive home the dashboard lit up with warnings. I've been told this will resolve when the appropriate replacement tire with a sensor is back in place. Is this correct? I'm nervous...any advice would be appreciated.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would just ignore it until they install the correct wheel and tire.

4. Sounds a lot like what happened in this thread:
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/frequent-esc-blinking-and-sensation-impacting-steering-and-speed.132634/

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We have had the same issue. A puncture in the tread just outside the steal belts which produced a slow leak in the sidewall. We decided to put 4 new tires on instead of the single mismatch and a pair of mismatched. We picked a tire that professed to be quieter and was Consumer Rated to be the best for our car on rolling resistance.
    We have all three of the old tires. If anyone reads this and wishes a spare that matches the original, and lives in the North Oregon Willamette Valley, we will give you the tire free. They have about 13k miles.

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Umm, the tire should be covered under warranty, so Honda should replace two tires at a time, as that is standard practice when replacing tires.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I had a flat once and it does show warning lights. Since the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) from the punctured tire is removed, you will have the warning until a new tire with the TPMS is re-installed.

Your tire is under warranty from Hyundai. It should not be coming out of your own pocket especially if it is under 600 miles.

9. Technically your tires are under warranty from the individual tire manufacturers not Hyundai. In this case Nexen and they typically only cover actual defects in the tire not road hazard damage. You would like to hope that the dealer would change them under a good will gesture if its that new or if you purchased additional coverage from them for road hazard tire damage. This would be akin to getting a dent in your car or rockchip in your windshield the first week of ownership. Unfortunately I don't see an obligation on Hyundai's part to fix this sort of problem. With that little mileage it should be no problem to just replace a single tire, there will be hardly any diameter wear loss in the opposite tire. They should be able to recycle your current TPMS sensor, they will likely charge you around $10-15 for TPMS service kit, which just a new o ring and schrader valve. I would probably just get this done at a decent tire shop as dealers like to make relatively simple fixes like this more expensive than they should.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    GeorgeS likes this.
  10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Actually, in the US, the Tire Warranty from Hyundai specifically includes Road Hazard coverage for the tire warranty length and the TPMS service kit would be included, so there should be absolutely no cost and since the tire warranty specifically includes Road Hazard coverage (at least mine does and I can't imagine being given special coverage without negotiating it) and states it will be serviced by Hyundai, so Hyundai would be under obligation to repair it.

11. Are you sure it's Hyundai's responsibility? The US warranty 2020 PDF seems to imply otherwise.

[​IMG]

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I can tell you the Hyundai Dealer (Withnell Oregon) refused to cover my slow leak under warrantee. They offered to contact the tire dealer to see what they would cover but with 14K on the tires, I figured at most only 1/2 mileage coverage and then add the normal practice of replacing pairs of tires. Then there is front/rear difference in tires. I chose to forgo the warrantee claim and buy a full set. I kept a set so if it happens again with the new tires, I can mount two replacements. One I am willing to give away as OEM.

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

My tire warranty manual says to bring the car to any Hyundai dealership for warranty (including road hazard) on the tires. This isn't the new vehicle warranty, but the specific tire warranty, you would need to be looking at that, not the owners manual.

15. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

For a slow leak, if the dealer did refuse, I would suggest going to American Tire or Firestone, they will usually repair slow leaks for free unless it is unrepairable. But I would simply pull out my tire warranty and if it says road hazards are covered, then it is covered and they need to honor that.