New ID.4 CarNet Initial Experiences (Dec 2021)

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by VeeDub'r, Dec 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. After being somewhat "pre-sensitized" by Brian Prendergast's earlier "CarNet" post ...

CarNet has STILL not functioned a full week into my ID.4 "ownership experience."

First the dealer couldn't log-in to initially setup CarNet for vehicle.

Now, although my CarNet online account and mobile app both appear to be "up," the vehicle's Voice and Data Status Indicator is completely extinguished [indicating "offline / no connectivity" (it was green upon initial delivery)] although the Infotainment Screen's 4G Signal Strength is still strong.

Since the dealer is still formally accountable for delivering a fully-functional product; we (the dealer and I) spent 57 minutes on the phone w/ CarNet support who said, "It's a software issue which will be resolved with an OTA 'push' to the vehicle in the new year."

When queried as to exactly HOW any software push would occur when all indications were that there was no active communications link between the vehicle and CarNet ...

... the agent "punted" replying, "We're not technical support; you'll need to discuss technical matters with the dealer."

Uggh ....

This support system might appear to provide VWOA a 2022 Opportunity to Improve.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ya so my light was green the entire time in the car so I had that going for me. I can tell you this thought, the app isn't all that great. I have tried to set charging limits and it complains it's not connected.

all it does is
    1. set the charge limit. It's had mixed results with this.
    2. turn on the heat (remote start). I have tried this once and it worked but haven't been back to the office since to try it when I would actually need it.
    3. find an EA charge station. This seems like it could be useful but you can do it 3 different ways on the console itself.
    So I know it's frustraiting but you are not missing a whole lot.

I found the setting charge location in the car to be cool cause you can disable the cable lock and set times to warm the car so it's ready for you in the morning.

Good luck with your adventure. If you get the green light in the car, I would just try re-adding the car if it's still not working.

Brian

Domenick likes this.
  4. Thanks for the reply.

While not overly concerned about missing-out on the marginal utility provided by the current iteration of the CarNet "user app" ...

... I would hope - at least for now - that having "on-vehicle data connectivity" is a good thing for any VW remote diagnostics or OTA software pushes.

Domenick likes this.
  5. I didn't even think of that, good point. There is also, it should work cause you just bought it, kind of thing :). I feel for you. Good luck.

6. CCanino

CCanino New Member

CarNet is almost useless. I've had my Id4 1st since June 21, and had at least 4 instances where I had to contact VW to get it connected to car again. Again today I put the car on the charger (Chargepoint Flex), the car starts charging, Carpoint app says 9.75 KW/hr, VW CarNet says car is unplugged, hasn't updated since Jan 1 2022. Call CarNet, they connect me with VW support. VW support says it's a CarNet issue, connects me back to CarNet, who says Maybe 7 days for support ticket to be looked into. I loose my cool, they say the CarNet module is disconnected and needs to be reset by dealer (1 hr away). I say BS fix it, they say they'll try within 24 hrs. How can a product like this hit the market? Do people have the same issue with their Audi or Porsche electrics? I doubt it so why can't VW get it right? Only 3 functions for the app to process and they can't get it right! Really disappointing from VW, even the dealers don't have a handle on it as they have one tech certified to work on ID4.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ya that sounds about right for my experiance with Carnet. It's a painful reminder that they have a long way to go to get software correct.

9. CCanino

CCanino New Member

Even my neighbors Chevy Bolt works better than this at 1/2 the price.

StevenF likes this.
  10. StevenF

StevenF New Member

Mixed bag for my experience. Has been good to drive went to mountains to ski on three occasions and it’s a beast in snow and ice. It has a side assist and rear sensor error. Dealership said it’s going to be some time for the parts. Not sure why they aren’t using the same sensors they already have in play, may be an excuse. The other issue is I can’t seem to get the same 100% charge mileage of 240 stated miles since I picked it up. Get between 210 and 220 at 100%. If that is the rate of degradation on the battery I’ll be trading it in soon for a competitor.

11. manybees

manybees New Member

Lower range estimates by the car do not indicate a degraded battery. The EPA estimated range is just that: an estimate and not a guarantee. If you read VW's fine print about the EPA range estimate, it says "Actual mileage and range will vary and depend on several factors including driving and charging habits, accessory use, temperature and topography, battery age, load, and vehicle condition. Battery capacity decreases with time and use."

Doing any or all of the following will result in lower range estimates by the vehicle:
    • Driving in cold weather, especially any temps below 20F.
    • Heating the cabin to high temperatures above 72F
    • Driving for long periods at speeds above 65mph.
    • Fast accelerations.
    • Driving on wet pavement.
    • Driving uphill.
    • Driving against the wind.
    • Carrying extra weight in the car or towing.
    • Driving with a roof box or a ski rack.
    • Driving in Sports mode.
    If you've been doing any or all of these things on your road trips, then the guess-o-meter will almost certainly show a range estimate lower than the EPA estimates. To improve range do any or all of the following:
    • Pre-heat the cabin while plugged in.
    • Set the cabin temp to 66F or below and use the heated seats to stay warm.
    • Keep highway speeds to 65mph or lower.
    • Minimize fast accelerations.
    • Drive in Eco mode.
    • Don't use a roof box or ski rack.
    • Don't tow anything.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FWIW, my own CarNet finally stated working yesterday; 5 weeks and 1,700 miles after delivery.

VW's CarNet "Remote" certainly defines the term "Minimum Operational Capability" ...

... def would have been nice to be able to remotely pre-activate seat and steering wheel heaters. (IMO those are more important to initial winter comfort than cabin temp).

14. Ya the app kinda sticks. I do believe the "Car Climate" is what you turn on to activate that and based on setting in the car, seats and stearing wheel get turned on.

Congrats on finally gettinig it "working"