New battery installed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MikeP, Sep 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MikeP

MikeP New Member

IMG_0871.JPG 65455545049__82BF0672-13A5-46A5-9253-0DE9EFE54A2A.JPG
    Like new again at 31k miles, in Kentucky.
    Replacement took about 6.5 hrs, which included a 50mi test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Kona Man and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NRH

NRH Active Member

50 mile test drive? They're paying a mechanic to go drive a Kona around for an hour? Lucky guy!

We've got our appointment for the pack swap in a week, and at 29,600 on the odometer today, we should roll in there with exactly 30,000 miles on our battery; then I'll roll out with zero on the new one. No complaints here.

If my drive train keeps "ticking" I might go down that road next, and if I end up with a new battery AND new motor, I think this car just might go on driving forever!

Since 30,000 miles is a "major" maintenance interval, I looked at the maintenance schedule, and it blows my mind that there's virtually ZERO maintenance required under the manufacturer's service schedule for this entire 30,000 mile period of ownership! It basically says look the car over every 7500 miles, and then when you get to 30,000 miles, look it over a little more closely. No fluids or anything. And who knows - we may get 100,000 miles on brake pads. They certainly don't seem to be wearing much.

As soon as someone puts a L3 charger in Millinocket (the only direction I drive that still lacks charging infrastructure) I'll replace all our cars with BEV!

electriceddy and MikeP like this.
  4. Dunkin' Donuts just opened a new outlet 25 miles away, that mechanic won the coin toss:D

MikeP likes this.
  5. Our 2019 Kona has been at the local dealership for 1 week tomorrow. Got some bluelink notices from the car today. Don't know how long it will take for them to get my battery shipped in and installed, but can't wait to get our BEV back. Mileage when dropped off was just about 29k. We really miss it, they gave us a ICE loaner , but at least it is a Kona.
    Tim in Florida
    20210922_162141.jpg

MikeP likes this.
  6. Konasu

Konasu New Member

I didn't take my 2019 Kona in until the dealer had the battery for my vehicle in the shop and I had an appointment. It took 1 day to install (they said 5-6 hours). My 2019 lifetime warranty is still in effect with the new battery. So far so good.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I wish our dealer could have done that, but said they could or would not order replacement battery until they had the car there. Guess they feel giving us a loaner is a safer way with recall alerts. Hope we get it back soon. How long does it take for a battery to arrive once ordered?

9. Konasu

Konasu New Member

Once I signed the papers, they (Hyundai) assigned a battery to my VIN. It was shipped to Oregon from who knows where in exactly one month. When the dealer had the battery, they called me and I drove my car in and had it done. I had an ICE loaner over the weekend because they did it on a Friday.

10. NRH

NRH Active Member

Mine took 7 weeks and about 5 phone calls.

11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Update on my RECALL -- So went to my appt yesterday for RECALL 200. All they did was snap and upload a pic of the serial number & date of my EV Battery (2019/10/10), run diagnostics on it to see if any error codes popped up. There were none. So they applied a SOFTWARE Update to allow me to again charge to 100% and washed my car and returned it - all in 3 hours. Sigh - was really hoping they'd be replaced. There was a note in my invoice that "Hyundai MAY replace the battery at a future time. Probably after our house burns down due to a battery fire.

Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. so the same thing happened to me. I called corporate, went back to dealer, expressed concern to NHSTA (or whatever they're called)...long story short a few weeks later I get a rather urgent call from the dealer that they needed to address recall 200 and test my battery. I said they already did it. But the recall was marked as incomplete for some reason so I had to bring it in again so they could redo it. This time they told me they were ordering me a new battery but it probably won't arrive for 2 or 3 months. So I think maybe you should go back to the dealer and talk to them again.
    New Jersey, 2019 SEL purchased 3/2019

14. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Jennifer, which New Jersey dealer was this?

15. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

After I surrendered the Kona with the buyback, the battery was replaced at Lakeland Hyundai.. They did it in one day.. After the battery was replaced, they put the car into auction and it sold to a Hyundai dealer in Utah..

16. Maxon Hyundai in Union.

17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Do you have the phone number you called for "CORPORATE" ? Thanks

18. corporate: 833.463.8722 this will get you to customer service where nobody understands the problem. If pressed they will escalate you to a case manager, who also may not know much about the situation and will take a couple of weeks to get back to you. The thing is the customer service people's goal is to make you happy. But they are not really empowered, it seems, to authorize a new battery. So even though they may tell you it's OK, the warranty team may not approve it based on your car's test. But it's still good to express your concerns and have that on record.
    I'm not really sure what exactly warranted my car's test to be redone. I think it was the fact that recall 200 was not taken off the list as being complete. Maybe check your recall status first in that national safety group that lists recalls and on your blue link app and see if it is still listed. Then advise the dealer that is listed as incomplete and ask them to redo it. You may want to search earlier posts and other threads on this site to see what others have experienced. I read one post where the person said they had the test done something like 6 times for some reason.....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  19. Kona Man

Kona Man New Member

Hey MikeP in KY! So how is it now with a new battery? Everything working ok? I've been waiting for a battery replacement in Lexington, KY for nine weeks now.

20. UPDATE 12/7/2021: Battery arrived and being installed today. Fingers crossed!

Kona Man likes this.
  21. MikeP

MikeP New Member

Tbh, so far, my range at 80% of the “defective” battery was better than my range at 100% of the new battery. I think they must be rationing lithium, lol. Or the BMS needs a new update.
    Although, sometimes after a full charge, the SOC doesn’t change until I have driven about 10-15 miles, so I feel the BMS is having difficulty with its accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Kona Man likes this.
  22. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

In regard to the Battery Recall, you can go to the following Web Site and Put in your Vin. I had a 2020 Kona EV Ultimate that was affected but I didn't wait for a new Battery. Hyundai just bought my car back because of a different issue which I am going to talk about in a different part of this forum. I replaced it with a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate in the exact same Greyish/White Interior and Exterior Color. Before I took possession I used this website and received the following message:
    YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT AFFECTED.
    This safety recall is to replace the Battery System Assembly and adjust the lithium-ion battery’s charging rate on certain model year 2019-2020 Hyundai Kona Electric vehicle. Of Course, I was happy to see this.

To check and see if your vehicle is affected by the battery recall click on the following link and put in your VIN Number. This link is only for the Battery Recall.
    https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/Campaign200/MicroSiteTemplate/MicroSiteTemplateVINValidate/3782

For all other recalls (probably including the battery) click on this link: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome

In regard to the wait time for the batteries as long as your car is driveable my suggestion is you NEVER leave your car with the dealer until he has the new battery in his possession. If he says you have to, find another dealer.

Why do I say this? Because 9 weeks ago I was stopped at a signal near my home when a girl behind me took her foot off the brake in her car and rolled into my car. I took the car to my Hyundai Dealers Body Shop. Basically, all you could see was a broken camera on the bumper and the underpan was hanging below the car about 6 inches by one bolt instead of 4 or 5 or however many it normally has. There was no way to assess the damage and get a real number for the insurance company until the bumper came off. It was all superficial damage, no bodywork required, no painting, just replacing the bumper and the camera and a wire harness. The total cost to repair the car was $3300. BUT, the total time to get the parts was 7 Weeks! And this is in Orange County California, not some out-of-the-way place. I had no choice but to leave the car since the collision shop had to take off the bumper and the underpan and of course, they could not put them on again. I had to wait for the new parts. We all expected it to take two weeks at the most. But, as I said, it took 7 weeks. Once the parts came in the dealer put them on the same day and I picked up the car the next morning. I would not doubt that many of the batteries you all need are sitting on a ship or ships somewhere off the coast of California.

In my case since California Law requires that the Insurance company for the person at fault provide the Same or Similar Car to the injured party, me, they rented me a Brand new 2022 BMW which I drove for two weeks then switched to a Tesla Model S. So, I was happy. But Not as Happy as I was on the day I got my own car back!!!

23. Pickleball Mike

Pickleball Mike New Member

What an eye opener reading these posts! On October 1, 2021, I drove my 2021 Kona EV (purchased on 5/14/21) 130 miles from my home and charged the car at a Level 2 charging station. When I attempted to move the car from the charging station (100% charged), the vehicle could not be placed in Drive or Reverse. After 3 days, on 10/4, I was able to have the vehicle towed to a dealer where it remains nearly 10 weeks later. The lithium battery needs to be replaced, the replacement has been authorized by Hyundai USA, and supposedly a battery has been ordered. The dealer has no idea when they will get the battery and they have not even been able to get a tracking number for the battery. I have a case number with Hyundai customer care and have had four different case managers who have done nothing to help resolve the problem. I have filed a case with the BBB Automotive Division and will have an arbitration meeting on 11/17. Any input from readers will be welcome. Thank you all in advance.