Need New Tires at 31,000 miles

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Sully151, Mar 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sully151

Sully151 Member

Hi,
    I am in need of new tires. My Mini came with Hankook Ventus Prime 3's. They have been good tires. They are good for California roads, the range hasn't taken a hit (120 miles or so per charge) and I am partly to blame for only getting 30k. I have only rotated once.

That being said, I would be happy to get these again, but they seem hard to get. I have tried multiple tire shops.

Is there another tire that is as good for a fair price?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Only 30K miles? That seems pretty good to me.

I really like my Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus tires but I would probably go with Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02 if I didn't need to handle below freezing temperatures. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and is also a really good tire. I had a set on my last car and they were really quiet, great traction, and handled really well.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Your MINI dealer can probably get those tires. Note that some tire manufacturers sell the same-size tires with the same model name, but with multiple versions, one of which will be the most efficient. MINI did a great job choosing the tires for the MINI Cooper SE: both efficient and grippy, a rare combination. And, fortunately IMO, not run-flats like all the other MINIs get.

Here are a few "Tires" threads in this MINI Electric forum you might find informative:
    Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)
    Tires

When to rotate tires?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    MichaelC likes this.
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Here is your tire if your rims are16” use TAX 23 for $15 off 9D636A26-633F-4B2F-8DD4-0ECCA98F2957.jpeg . That picture showing wrong price they are $176,99 a tire .Just order 16” if your car is equipped with 16”

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  6. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

It says they're out of stock on the PriorityTire website... but TireRack has 4 left (for now) at $172 each.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ghost

ghost Active Member

Do the Michelin PS4S come in 16" or are you running 17"?

I replaced my Hankooks at 16k mi. Can't imagine getting 30k out of them.

I bought the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Haven't been able to make them squeal, yet. Fun tires, but don't expect them to last very long.

9. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Ahh, the joys of having multiple versions of each tyre.
    Those are NOT the OEM ventus 3s. You want K125 195/55-16 87w non run flats. They have a star on the sidewall. K125B or HRS means run flat. It seems only the mini rated ones are 87W, so that is a really good way to find them.
    I've found that the average American tyre monkey has absolutely no clue about rolling resistance. So it's good idea to know exactly which tyre you want, and be deeply suspicious of any recommended alternatives.
    Your mini dealer is likely the safest place to get tyres. I hear that it's one of the few things that they don't bend you over some railings for.
    31k? Wow. I'll be lucky if I manage that, and I run winters in 4-5 months a year.

10. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

I've found the Indy 500s to last quite a long time on my other vehicles. A little too long if you ask me, I actually don't like em all too much due to their stiffness but I'm not trying to replace them prematurely lol.

SameGuy and ghost like this.
  11. pictsidhe

Some googling turned up the OEM hankooks from Walmart at $151

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ghost

ghost Active Member

What are you going to replace them with?

14. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Just to clarify, I have them on my other vehicle, a VW GTI. I'll probably fork out the extra cash for the Michelin PS4S, they are truly one of my favorite tires.

ghost likes this.
  15. ghost

ghost Active Member

I would've bought them, but they don't make them in 16". Bummer b/c I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them.

yoomini likes this.
  16. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Same, everyone always speaks so highly of them but I assume it's because you get a lot for the price. Just a bit too stiff for my liking.

17. callaflatbed

callaflatbed New Member

@Sully151 any chance you're in SoCal? I've got a set of those hankooks, taken off my car with 800 miles on them, with wheels and TPMS looking to get $800 for the whole wheel/tire package.

18. SJA

SJA Member

Curious what wheels you are running instead? I am in SoCal and itching to swap wheels.

19. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

16" or 17"? Got pics?

20. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

I can't believe you got 30k. I'm at 5K and went for a tire rotation and noticed both the shoulders in the front were bald and the tread was at 3/32 already. America's Tire wouldn't even do the rotation. The rear are at 6/32 still.

I'm actually considering the Firehawk since it's got a higher 340 treadwear versus the 240 of the Prime3s. How many miles do you guys have on yours and what are your thoughts?

21. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I went for the 200 threadwear - very fun. My Goodyear's lasted 32k km, about 20k miles - but they were hard (ie fun) miles. Decided range is overrated and fun is underrated :)

azausa likes this.
  22. pictsidhe

I have 3 sets of wheels and tyres
    Stock with 16" hankooks. For summer daily dodging
    A set with Nokian wr-g4 for what passes as winter in NC. Minimal range hit
    A 3rd set with 215/45-16 200TW falken RT660. Those are for autocross. Those knock about 25% off range. Very high rolling resistance. There are less draggy 200s.
    The Yoko v701s on my R53 have more grip than my SE 'kooks, not too draggy and I think 300TW. Somebody else here is liking his AD09s.

23. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

I have them on a different vehicle (VW GTI) with about 30k miles. They last a long time but they are too stiff for my liking. I will be going to something else when the time comes.