Need Help - Deciding Between 2020 LEAF S PLUS & Tesla Model 3 Standard Range+

Discussion in 'General' started by gasfreeev, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. gasfreeev

gasfreeev New Member

Hi all. I really need some help here. I am trying to decide between purchasing the 2020 LEAF S PLUS & Tesla Model 3 Standard Range+. I've laid out the statistics below, and from a purely financial perspective, the S PLUS is so attractive, but I can't lie, the sex appeal of the Model 3 is calling.

Please note that the S PLUS price is out the door, so it includes all taxes, registration, title, etc. fees.

Can you please provide some guidance and/or feedback to help me make this decision?

upload_2020-8-5_12-16-27.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Personally I would avoid the Leaf due to the lack of active cooling in the batteries. You might consider a Bolt or a Kona instead if you are looking for options with a range that is in the same ballpark.

That being said, in Massachusetts, the lack of active cooling might not be that big of a deal. If you were in Arizona, it would be a deal-breaker.

In about a year, Nissan will hopefully have a new model to replace the Leaf, and that would have active cooling of the battery.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You are also buying access to a charging network: CCS-1 for Leaf, and Supercharger for Tesla. I recommend using PlugShare.com to see which charging network matches trips you are likely to take.

A Std Rng Plus Model 3 owner with no Leaf experience, I can’t offer a compare and contrast. Regardless, I am very happy with my Tesla. For example I just got a new software update at lunch ... no dealer appointment.

Bob Wilson

5. I believe the the the Leaf is still using Chademo and that all of the new Nissan will be getting CCS-1. In that case IMO the Leaf has two strikes against it. 1: it doesn't have a thermal management system for the battery as other have stated. 2: The number of DCFC with Chademo connectors from will decrease over time due to lack of maintenance and no newer installs thus limiting it usefulness on longer trips.

briloop and bwilson4web like this.
  6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I had a Leaf (granted mine was a 2013) and just traded it in for a Kona, best decision ever. So, I would recommend looking at the Kona for the price. I also second the fact that CHADEMO connectors will be decreasing over time.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gasfreeev

gasfreeev New Member

Right, that is my understanding as well - with the Ariya announcement, Nissan shared their plans to move to CCS.

9. I don’t know enough about the Leaf to really say. What is it about the Leaf you like so much vs a Bolt, Niro or Kona? For what it’s worth, I would choose a Model 3 between the two.

By the way, does the Leaf still get the Fed Tax credit? It’s been around longer than the Bolt and Tesla’s and they’ve gone through their availability already.

10. gasfreeev

gasfreeev New Member

Yes, the Leaf is still eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit (which is based on manufacturer, not model). Between that and Massachusetts's (state I live in) $2,500 electric rebate, that's a quick $10,000 off the price, which is quite significant in my opinion. Those credits and rebates make up the majority of the ~$15,000 difference between the Leaf and Model 3 in my calculation above.

I'm not the most vain guy, but try as hard as I can (and I have, over multiple points in multiple years - because that vehicle's range is so attractive to me), I just can't get myself to digest the Bolt's design! And I don't really need an SUV/sub-SUV like the Niro or Kona. In fact, I kind of like the Leaf's small, Euro hatchback style, though it is somewhat clunky and not as aesthetically pleasing as the Model 3.

11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

You know what is amazing about this thread is we have moved to a point where we can talk more about style preferences than range because the charging network is fleshed out enough to allow it and because even on the Leaf, range is up to a respectable number, although if I were going for a Leaf, it would be the longer range version.

gasfreeev and Fastnf like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It seems like you really want a Tesla. If you haven't rented one for a day or two on Turo, I would certainly rent one and take it for a long, long drive to see if you are still in love.

Unfortunately, the Nissan is harder to fine on Turo. So renting one is not likely.

14. gasfreeev

gasfreeev New Member

Do I detect some doubt in the Model 3's ability to handle long drives in your comments? Or should I take them at face value?

15. If you take it for a long drive, do it on a hot day. And see how much your sweaty butt likes the non-perforated leather seats that do not have a ventilation option.

16. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Nope. I just believe it takes more than a 15 minute test drive to really get a good feel as to the bad and good points of a car.

Rent both cars if you can find a Leaf to rent.

gasfreeev likes this.
  17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

When I was shopping, I couldn't even get a 15 minute test drive in the Leaf. The sales people saw me looking over a Leaf in the showroom, and they did their best to ignore me. When I started to ask them about it, they pawned me off on one guy in back, who then told me that they didn't have any cars available for a test drive. So I was annoyed - didn't learn much other than the dealer only wanted to sell expensive SUVs.

I probably would have tried a different dealer. But Hyundai was the next stop, and that's as far as I got...

electriceddy likes this.
  18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

After trading in a Leaf for a Kona, that makes sense to me.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

How far away are you from Huntsville AL?

I prefer to offer a supervised, test drive. But my wife is house bound. Let me know your nearest town and we can do a deal.

Bob Wilson

gasfreeev likes this.
  20. Does the Nissan Leaf have ventilated seats? If not then it hardly matters that the Model 3 does not.

21. It was suggested above that the guy look at a Kona. It has ventilated seats,... and more, compared to the M3. I don't think the Leaf is in the same league, so not even sure why he is comparing it to the M3.

22. Okay, the forum just ate my rather lengthy post, I’ll give it another go.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts on the matter. Recently I chose a Kona over a Model 3 because the Fed Tax credit was still available and the difference for me was around $9,500. Probably would’ve picked the Model 3 if all things were equal cost-wise.

My biggest issue outside of cost with the Model 3 is the size, it’s a big car and like you I favor a smaller euro style hatchback. Like you I like the Bolt but did not like the interior design as well as some missing features and tech. One thing you may not know about the Kona is how small it really is, looks bigger in photos and videos but in real life it’s quite diminutive. In fact the Kona is a full twelve inches shorter in length than a Leaf. It also is much more like a hatchback than an SUV, I guess it fits into that crossover category. I’m not trying to say the Kona is the greatest thing on four wheels, it has a lot of little things that bug me but as a whole package it’s a pretty amazing EV if you don’t want to spend Tesla money.

One other important piece of info. Make sure you talk to your tax person before you take the plunge. The $7.5k tax credit may not be entirely available to you, depends on your financial position.

gasfreeev and ericy like this.
  23. I agree and even wrote as much but gasfreeev stated he didn’t care for an SUV/sub SUV, Niro, Kona. While I may not personally like the Leaf he/she does and until otherwise it’s a two horse race.